BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Business Analyst - Metrics & AnalyticsRequisition ID: 12885
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Business Analyst - Metrics and Analytics will leverage their expertise in business analysis, business intelligence and data analytics to provide managers and senior level decision makers in Development, Building and Licensing (DBL) with recommendations on ways to improve service delivery performance and create operational efficiencies.
Working in a confidential environment, the successful candidate will utilize their creative and analytical skills to make recommendations that will result in changes in methods, processes, resources and procedures that may impact operational areas as well as staffing workloads, working conditions and changes in positions or staffing levels.
Reporting to the Manager, Business Processes and Technology, the successful candidate will work closely with the DBL management team, Technology and with the Finance and Performance Measurement team.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the direction of the Manager, Business Process & Technology develops the suite of (monthly/weekly/daily) performance metrics to assess the service delivery of all branches within DBL.
- Identifies implications and makes recommendations for changes in processes and procedures that may have an impact on operational areas, staffing workloads, working conditions, and changes to positions or staffing levels.
- Develops, implements, and maintains appropriate reporting mechanisms & tools to enable managers to understand the performance of their business areas.
- Undertakes proactive analysis of business performance in order to provide advice and guidance to managers on areas for performance improvement.
- Implements advanced statistical techniques to inform recommendations to management on required business performance interventions and continuous improvement initiatives.
- Ensures that the data points necessary to produce DBL performance metrics are captured in the relevant data systems; that data captured is readily accessible by those who need it to manage day-to-day operations, and that performance metrics are aligned with operational workflows, Service Level standards, and are appropriately referenced in Business Process documentation.
- Proactively assesses the quality of data captured in the relevant systems.
- Supports the development of business cases for organizational, process, or systems changes on an as-needed basis.
- Assists the Manager, Business Process & Technology to undertake quality assurance around business processes on an as-needed basis.
- Supports user training for IT systems as necessary to support issues identified through the quality assurance process.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- A post-secondary degree in Business Administration, Public Administration or a related discipline
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in managing, developing, and implementing organizational development and business process improvements including a minimum of 2 years’ of professional work experience in business intelligence/business performance analysis design, implementation, and quality controls or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Progressively responsible experience as a business analyst at an intermediate level, participating in complex policy review and development, business strategy and business planning-related work, preferably within a municipal environment.
- Experience designing and implementing performance metrics; using analytical, data mining, and visualization tools.
- Experience applying advanced statistical techniques and continuous improvement methodologies (e.g. Lean/Six Sigma).
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Broad knowledge of organizational development and business process principles, practices and methods affecting an organization, program planning, evaluation and monitoring, principles.
- Knowledge of BI tools across the vendor platform and understanding of best fit for unique organizational needs.
- Exceptional analytical skills and attention to detail, as well as strong interpersonal and oral/written communications skills.
- Demonstrated analytical problem solving to develop progressive, creative and innovative solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to build new processes, workflows, policies and functions as well as to collaborate with a range of stakeholders.
- Ability to engage and influence at senior levels to support the successful design, implementation, and continuous improvement.
- Superior oral and written communication skills to present and prepare concise analyses, reports and recommendations to senior management, and consult individuals internal to the organization.
- Demonstrated experience in prioritizing and managing competing demands, delays or unexpected events.
- Results-oriented self-starter able to work independently, but also a strong team player; dependable and organized.
- Ability to collaborate and work effectively across internal (inter-departmental) functional areas, as well as with external parties; including the ability to manage competing interests and communicate successfully in both direct and indirect reporting relationships
- Ability to manage multiple activities simultaneously; complete on schedule and within budget.
Business Unit/Department: Development Services, Building & Licencing (1250)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: April 2019
Application Close: February 20, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.