BC Local Government Job Posting Service
City of Surrey
Parks and Recreation Planner
As one of the fastest growing cities in Canada, City of Surrey is a globally recognized leader in building vibrant, sustainable communities through technology and innovation. City of Surrey employees are talented innovators, inspired by meaningful work and the opportunity to drive our city—and their careers—forward. Build a City. Build a Future at the City of Surrey.
The City of Surrey strives to protect the natural environment and create a thriving and inclusive city. The Parks, Recreation and Culture Department has recently created an award winning Ten-Year Strategic Plan and requires a Parks & Recreation Planner to help implement that plan. The planner will be integral to the planning and design of the City’s public domain including parks, natural areas, community facilities, urban plazas and streetscape.
The Parks and Recreation Planner will play a key role in the City as a representative for the Parks, Recreation and Culture department in various projects both internally and externally.
This role will:
- Draft and implement park master plans, policies, guidelines and strategic objectives.
- Represent the PRC Department on the City’s Design Review Group to ensure land development projects meet Departmental objectives.
- Work within a team developing land use plans to identify locations and features for new parks.
- Collaborate with various stakeholders and the community to plan and design new parks and park management plans.
- Research innovative ideas, concepts and theories related to park acquisition, design and management.
- Lead in preparing sketches, plans, and other materials to support the parks planning process.
- Manage the work of consultants and supervise junior staff.
The position will also lead public consultation efforts that include:
- Conducting public meetings.
- Leading focus group sessions during planning exercises.
- Presenting to the Parks, Recreation and Culture Committee, Committees of Council and stakeholder groups.
We’re looking for someone who is excited about building communities and has a keen interest in the protection and delivery of parks and public spaces.
As the ideal candidate, you’ll have a strong knowledge of both sustainable planning principles and contemporary approaches to urban planning and design. You have proven leadership skills and the ability to build effective working relationships with both the public and City staff. You can also effectively communicate plans and ideas to a variety of different audiences.
You will also have:
- A master’s degree in planning or Landscape Architecture plus a minimum of 5 years of experience in Parks, Recreation and Culture Planning, preferably in the public sector; OR an equivalent relevant combination of education, training and experience.
- Advanced knowledge of computer applications including, Adobe Creative Suite/Cloud, AutoCAD, Arc GIS and standard office applications.
- Knowledge of sustainable planning principles, the Local Government Act and other applicable legislation as well as landscape design and construction standards.
- Registered or eligibility for registration in the Planning Institute of BC and/or BC Society of Landscape Architects.
- A valid BC Driver’s license.
Conditions of Employment
- This position requires completion of a Police Information Check.
- Successful applicants must provide proof of qualifications.
Apply online at www.surreycareers.ca
Location: Surrey, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Planning & Development
Posted: February 4, 2019, 3:02 pm
Expires: February 25, 2019, 4:30 pm