BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Clerk III (After-Hours Public Works Dispatcher)
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world by 2020 and we are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
This After-Hours Public Works Dispatcher performs a large variety of moderately complex clerical work including: public works call handling duties; dispatching of crews and equipment; responding to regular and after-hours public works emergency calls; security and access control, directing visitors to their destinations; utilizing a call/work management system (Hansen) for recording calls, work history, dispatching and calling out work crews, and data entry including payroll time entry.
The After-Hours Public Works Dispatcher performs their duties with relatively little supervision, and is required to make independent decisions based on knowledge of departmental and City policies and procedures.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
This After-Hours Public Works Dispatcher will be responsible for:
- Researching and providing complex and accurate utility information from utility maps, external utility companies, GIS, VanMap and Hansen to crews and the public upon request.
- Monitoring, reporting and responding to water, sewer, intrusion, fire and other system alarms.
- Maintaining and updating computer and manual record systems.
- Answering the phone and dispatching crews.
- Performing SAP data entry for payroll time entry, costs and billing.
- Providing liaison from mobile users to branch offices, City Hall and other public agencies as required. Assist Police, Fire and related departments under emergency conditions.
- Dealing extensively with staff and the public.
- Word processing, spreadsheet and database duties as required.
- Creating and maintaining office files.
- Performing other related work as required.
Candidates must be willing and able to work shift work. The regular work schedule for this position may include 7:00am - 3:00pm, 3:00pm - 11:00pm, or 11:00pm - 7:00am. This position will be based out of National Works Yard. The successful candidate may be required to adjust shifts and change locations as operational required.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12, including or supplemented by courses in mapping software, MS Office programs and other standard software courses, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Considerable related clerical experience working with computerized record keeping systems, as well as excellent numerical skills with good attention to detail, effective keyboarding and accurate data entry ability.
- Preference will be given to candidates with prior public works dispatch and operator experience
Police Record Checks
- A Police Record Check is a requirement of the position. A clearance requires the absence of any criminal charges or convictions related to this position.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of applications such as MS Word, Access and Excel are required.
- Knowledge of OMS, VanMap, ENGIS, SIS, Hansen and SAP or equivalent programs are preferred
- Good organizational skills to handle a heavy workload, and demonstrated ability to handle volume with deadlines, frequent interruptions and changing priorities.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills, and excellent interpersonal and communication skills are essential.
- Some experience in doing payroll time entry, accounts payable and activity allocations in SAP;
- Experience in using and operating a maintenance/asset management systems such as Hansen and a sound knowledge of underground utilities and knowledge of operational work for street maintenance and traffic crews and underground and overhead utility crews.
- Ability to remain motivated working alone.
- Good attendance is of operational importance.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Auxiliary/Casual
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-017: $27.45 to $ 32.25 per hour
Number of Positions: 2
Application Close: February 24, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.