BC Local Government Job Posting Service
The City of Richmond is a diverse and dynamic community in pursuit of our vision
to be the most appealing, livable and well-managed community in Canada.
People l Excellence l Leadership l Team l Innovation
Imagine a career with the City of Richmond, a dynamic environment for growth and continuous improvement, fostered by our collective strengths and creativity. We are a vibrant, diverse cosmopolitan city, supported by a strong economy and recognized as leaders in innovation and service delivery excellence. The City of Richmond is committed to be the most appealing, livable, well-managed community in Canada, a goal that is only made possible by developing our most valuable asset – our people. This is a great opportunity to join our team and shape our community.
Human Resources Associate
Job ID: 2018360
The Human Resources Associate is a generalist position providing close and confidential support in all administrative, technical, and strategic elements of an assigned portfolio to one or more Manager, Human Resources and Managers, Supervisors, and staff in the assigned client/project portfolio as well as to other HR Team members within a multi-union environment. This requires the ability to lead or support high volumes of Recruitment and Selection and record employee changes in a complex HRIS such as PeopleSoft (we use HCM 9.2), as well as to support Labour Relations, Compensation and Benefits, Performance Development and Wellness, Health & Safety as required.
This position is responsible for providing clear and informative guidance to employees, management and the public on all areas of Human Resources practice regarding HR policies and procedures, collective agreement provisions, legislative and regulatory requirements, best-practices, and other applicable information. The Human Resource Associate builds strong relationships with managers, supervisors, and employees throughout their assigned client/project portfolio and the broader organization and act as liaison between other departments, divisions and stakeholders.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Competitive Compensation & Benefits: Your salary will be within the annual range for this position which is currently $61,911 to $77,389. In addition, you will receive comprehensive health, dental, and life insurance benefits, participate in the Municipal Pension Plan, (a defined-benefit pension with strong returns), and start with four weeks of paid annual vacation.
- Compressed Work Week (based on 70 hours biweekly): This schedule helps with work-life balance. Your normal hours of work will typically be 8:15 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday to Friday, and an alternating Monday or Friday off work. This compressed schedule is the result of an extension of the standard 7-hour workday to 7.75 hours to so that your full biweekly hours are worked in nine days instead of ten within each two-week period. Variations to this schedule may be required occasionally.
- Professional Development: The City of Richmond has a long-standing commitment to the ongoing development of its staff. There are many opportunities for internal and external training and education.
- Convenience: HR is located in the City Hall Annex, steps from the Canada Line terminus at Bridgeport Station, with access to car-sharing vehicles for work-day travel to meetings, and lots of free parking for bikes and vehicles nearby.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES (though are not limited to):
Lead Full-Cycle Recruitment & Selection
- Partner with hiring managers and HR Manager(s) to ensure staffing needs are identified and addressed in a timely manner; assist with forecasting and succession planning.
- Initiate recruitment requisitions, ensure necessary approvals are received, create and post job opportunities on our website, appropriate job boards and social media platforms.
- Development of selection criteria and assessment tools including resume screening guides, evaluation matrix, various testing, interviews and references.
- Conduct or coordinate phone screens and participate in interviews.
- Assist with the negotiation of new hire compensation offerings.
- Prepare and present formal employment offers.
- Balance activities to ensure positive candidate and hiring manager experiences.
- Provide input for improvement in recruitment processes and best practices.
Support Labour Relations
- Support HR Manager in Labour Relation activities.
- Participating in research, investigation, and documentation of Labour Relations issues.
- Provides managers with the interpretation and application of various collective agreements.
- Taking minutes at Labour Management and other confidential and extremely sensitive meetings, preparing and distributing agendas and minutes, and providing thorough and timely follow up to issues raised and ensuring thorough documentation and filing of materials.
Compensation and Benefits
- Assist and advise employees and managers on benefits questions and inquiries.
- Support our Pension & Benefits Associate, including: preparing information packages, and responding to general member inquiries.
- Coach and assist managers on conducting performance reviews with suitable follow up and feedback.
- Provide necessary education and materials to managers and employees including information on internal training opportunities, external training and other development material.
- Consult with Manager, People Development on potential new training opportunities and initiatives.
- Presenting at informational/training sessions to internal and/or external customers when required.
Wellness, Health & Safety
- Act as a resources for employees and managers on occupational health and safety
- Ensures that workplace accidents are handled appropriately and referred to the Manager, Health, Safety & Wellness as required.
- Assist managers with medical leaves and inquiries; refer to Disability Health & Wellness Specialists as required.
- Assist manager with the use and interpretation of data from the Attendance Management Software program.
HRIS and System Administration
- Maintain accurate and complete records in paper and electronic systems while ensuring confidentiality of information.
- Enter, maintain and audit data in PeopleSoft HRMS system (currently version 9.2) with a high degree of accuracy and compliance with procedures.
- Participate as necessary in system development, testing and implementation of new functionality or processes.
Other Special Projects
- Collaborate in continuous improvement processes around human resources management;
- Represent Human Resources at select internal or external committee meetings, as required.
- Participate in the coordination and support of special projects.
WHAT YOU BRING:
- Completion of a Diploma or Degree in Human Resources.
- 5 years related HR experience in a fast-paced, high-volume , unionized environment.
- Great inter-personal skills with the ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with different departments and within the HR team.
- Track record of a high level of discretion, confidentiality and diplomacy.
- Ability to prioritize workload, adjust to changing priorities, and effectively meet deadlines.
- Proven self-starter, who is organized and efficient.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills, with good judgement and can think on your feet.
- Ability to work both autonomously and as part of a team.
- Excellent coaching and collaborating skills.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong Microsoft Office Suite and data analytics skills.You can leverage technology to assist in our work.
- Previous HR or supervisory experience in a multi-union environment is an asset.
- A Chartered Professional in Human Resources (CPHR) designation would be considered an asset.
If you think this is a good fit for you, we invite you to apply today! For Further information regarding position details and to apply please visit www.richmond.ca/employment30This position will remain open until filled.
The City of Richmond is an inclusive employer committed to employment equity objectives and invites applications from all qualified individuals. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those under consideration will be contacted. If you are unsuccessful, please accept our appreciation for your interest. No telephone inquiries please.