BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Park Attendant - Artificial Turf Specialist
The West Vancouver Parks Department is accepting applications for a temporary full-time Park Attendant, responsible for a variety of park maintenance tasks with a focus on our artificial turf fields.
The primary duties of this position will be maintaining artificial sports fields, mowing grass sports fields and grass areas, and weed whacking.
The successful candidate may also be required to assist staff with: park construction; gardening; sign and trails maintenance; graffiti removal; garbage pick-up; maintaining playgrounds; cemetery duties; and other related duties as operationally required. They must have a demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision. The work for this position requires constant lifting and is considered manual work, requiring effort and stamina. The work for this position also involves acting as a source of support and information for user groups.
Applicants must have:
- An aptitude/interest in Park Operations;
- Basic knowledge of sport field and artificial turf maintenance
- Basic knowledge of grass maintenance including mowing, aerating, seeding and sod laying
- Sufficient physical strength, stamina and coordination to permit the performance of some manual outdoor work in all types of weather;
- An ability to exercise excellent customer service skills when interacting with park users and the general public
- An ability to build and maintain positive and effective working relationships with the public and staff
- A sound understanding of the needs of various sport field user groups and community groups
- Knowledge of, and the ability to make decisions in accordance with, departmental policies, practices, rules and regulations related to the work performed
- Possession of a valid Class 5 Driver’s Licence for the Province of BC.
During the assessment process, successful candidates will be asked to submit a Driver’s Abstract from ICBC.
The successful candidates will be required to supply a Criminal Record Check to be completed at their expense.
This posting does not list all the duties of the position, nor does it fully detail the required skills, knowledge and abilities, licences and certificates required of candidates.
WVMEA (Union) – Temporary, Full-Time
Hours of Work:
40 hours per week, including early mornings and weekends
Rate of Pay:
Starting at $25.86 + 12% in lieu of benefits ($28.96)
11:59 p.m. Friday, February 1, 2019
Please visit the District of West Vancouver’s Career Portal at www.westvancouver.ca/careers to apply for this position. Please note that all candidates must apply via the Career Portal; we do not accept resumes via email or hard copy.
We want to thank all applicants, however only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.