BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Director, Internal Audit
Job ID: 20190005
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
The South Coast British Columbia Transportation Authority (TransLink) is one of Canada’s most innovative transportation authorities, founded in 1999 to plan and manage transportation within Metro Vancouver. We’ve achieved success not only in improving the transportation network of the region, but helping maintain the enviable lifestyle of residents and the viability of local businesses. TransLink and our family of companies (Coast Mountain Bus Company, B.C. Rapid Transit Company and Transit Police) are proud to be one of BC’s Top Employers.
Internal Audit is a key function within the Board’s governance activities. The Director, Internal Audit & Performance Improvement is accountable to the TransLink Board of Directors, through the Audit Committee, and Chief Executive Officer to provide ongoing assurance that TransLink and its subsidiaries are operating in an effective and efficient manner. The incumbent is also responsible for the delivery of TransLink’s Right to Audit programs to ensure contractual compliance of contracted service providers. In addition, performs management consulting work under the direction of the Chief Executive Officer, to promote continuous improvement and the consistent application of TransLink performance standards (i.e. TransLink Lean Academy, strategic plans, core service plans, key performance measures, service level agreements, best practice reviews, etc.) across the TransLink enterprise.
- Delivers independent and professional objective assurance and consulting services to the Audit Committee, the CEO, and senior management to improve performance and manage risk; brings a systematic, disciplined approach to evaluating and improving the performance of TransLink’s risk management control, and governance processes.
- Leads the TransLink Enterprise Lean Academy Program which acts as a centre of excellence for continuous improvement for the Enterprise. The Lean Academy consists of Lean 101 training, TransLink Lean Methodology and tools, intranet site, Lean KPI tracking, success stories, Lean Yellow Belt and Green Belt certification programs, Kaizen facilitation and mentorship
- Under instruction of the Audit Committee, develops and completes an Annual Strategic Audit and performance improvement Plan which includes the list of operational and performance audit projects to be completed for the upcoming year. Works independent from Management and directs the entire internal audit process, including complex performance, operational and financial audits, and conducts audits at TransLink, Coast Mountain Bus Company, BCRTC and other subsidiaries
- Reviews audit findings and audit reports with subject department management to ensure that the assessment and recommendations fairly represent the facts; prepares reports outlining audit findings, recommendations and management responses; presents the results of audits to the Audit Committee and the appropriate Board of Directors when appropriate; conducts post audit reviews to evaluate the effectiveness and implementation of audit recommendations, and provides the Audit Committee with regular updates on implementation status of outstanding recommendations made.
- Directs the work of TransLink’s Internal Audit Department and Performance Improvement Department staff, including responsibility for the selection, training, motivation and performance management of employees.
- Maintains liaison with peers in the auditing and continuous improvement communities such as the Crown Corporations Auditors Group, BC Public Sector Lean Forum, the Institute of Internal Auditors and other organizations.
- Undertakes special studies and investigations on issues such as fraud or other confidential or sensitive issues including liaison with the RCMP, consultants and General Counsel when appropriate.
- As a Strategic Business Partner, provides expert advisory services to the Board Audit Committee, executives and senior management at TransLink, Coast Mountain Bus Company, BCRTC and other TransLink subsidiaries, in promoting and communicating the value of best practices to the enterprise, by advising on internal control implications of financial and system changes, providing guidance with the implementation of audit report recommendations, undertaking a wide variety of ad hoc projects and assignments and providing advice, guidance and assistance on general and financial business matters to mitigate risks and protect the organization’s interests.
- Administers TransLink’s Whistle-blower mechanisms including the Employee Code of Conduct and reports infractions to the Audit Committee and Board
- Under the direction of the CEO, supports business units across the enterprise to establish and implement continuous improvement standards aimed at translating the corporate values, mission, vision and goals into performance plans and activities; prepares key performance reports to the CEO and Board; works with business units to ensure key performance measures are defined, aligned and understood across the enterprise; promotes the sharing of best practices between business units. Provides business units with training and guidance as required including the development of templates to support enterprise performance standards.
- Provides management consulting services to business units aimed at improving and evaluating business performance in terms of effectiveness and efficiency. Conducts periodic service level agreement reviews on behalf of the business customer.
Education and Experience:
A degree in business or a related discipline plus a Canadian accounting designation (CA, CPA) and Internal Auditor designation (CIA) and requires ten years of experience in progressively responsible positions in operational or financial audit in large, complex organizations, including leading the management consulting/advisory services function plus five years in leading the internal audit function and experience interacting with and reporting to the Board of Directors.
- Expert interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to provide specialized expertise, advice, guidance and influence to all levels of the organization, including Board Committee and Executive levels and to function as a change agent.
- Advanced business acumen skills with the ability to think outside the box and identify performance opportunities for improvement while not losing sight of the big picture.
- Advanced skills in leading the execution of complex performance audits/best practice reviews and projects without the use of outside expertise.
- Advanced strategic thinking to develop an enterprise internal audit plan that includes audit topics of value to meet Board governance expectations.
- Advanced leadership skills with the ability to develop the performance audit and strategic capabilities of reporting staff.
- Expert knowledge of enterprise risk management frameworks and program in order to identify, assess and report on risks to strategic objectives.
- Advanced knowledge of strategic business planning and process improvement, including development of key performance measures and reports.
- A Lean Six Sigma Black Belt certification would be an asset.
37.5 hours per week
Salary: $145,258 - $181,573 per annum
Recruitment Process: An applicant will be required to demonstrate their suitability for this position by meeting the minimum level of qualifications and experience in order to be invited into the selection process. A standard interview format will be used including general, scenario and behavioural descriptive interview questions.
How to Apply
INSTRUCTIONS: Please save your (1) cover letter, and your (2) resume as one pdf document prior to uploading your application on-line.
Please note that only those short listed will be contacted.
Please go to apply for this position and view instructions on the process.
TransLink is committed to employment equity.
Location: New Westminster, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Financial Administration,Executive / Administrative Management
Posted: January 21, 2019, 10:59 am
Expires: February 22, 2019, 4:30 pm