BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Museum Assistant - Curatorial
(Young Canada Works Program)
The New Westminster Museum and Archives has a 16-week summer employment opportunity which will run from May 7, 2019 to August 24, 2019, Tuesdays to Saturdays, 35 hours per week. Please note that the staffing of the position and its duration are conditional on the approval of the grant application submitted to the Young Canada Works program.
- Assist with cataloguing, photo documentation, deaccessioning and updating artefact database records.
- Assist with the research, development and fabrication of exhibits.
- Help the curator with basic preservation tasks.
- Develop reference materials.
- Perform light cleaning and basic maintenance.
- Deliver educational heritage programming for school children and the public.
- Perform guided tours of New Westminster Museum and Archives facilities, including Irving House and the 1937 Samson V Museum.
- Perform other related duties.
- Please note that in order to apply you must be registered in the Young Canada Works inventory at https://young-canada-works.canada.ca and that you must be between the ages of 16 and 30. You must also have been a full-time student in the semester preceding the YCW job and intend to return to full-time studies in the semester following the YCW job.
- In addition you should ideally have completed a year of study in history, education, design, or museum studies or a related program at a recognized university.
- Preference may be given to those with previous work or volunteer experience in a museum.
- You should be familiar with the theory and principles of museum operations.
- Ability to work co-operatively, as part of a team.
- Possess excellent oral and written communication skills.
- You are an individual who pays close attention to detail.
- Familiar with the Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative suite of products.
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s License for the Province of British Columbia.
- Ability to work 35 hours a week from Tuesdays through Saturdays.
- Ability to successfully pass and maintain a clear Police Information Check.
This position offers an hourly rate of $18.99 plus 12% in lieu of benefits.
Apply by sending your resume quoting competition #19-10, by February 25, 2019 to the Human Resources Department, City of New Westminster, 511 Royal Avenue, New Westminster, BC V3L 1H9, Fax: (604)527-4619 or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The City of New Westminster welcomes diversity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals.
We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.
Location: New Westminster, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Museum & Archive Services
Posted: January 16, 2019, 11:42 am
Expires: February 25, 2019, 4:30 pm