BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Horticulture / Arboriculture Labourer
Great City, Great Work, Great Future!DEPARTMENT: Parks and Recreation
NO. OF POSITIONS: One
UNION: CUPE, Local 387
HOURS OF WORK: See Below*
SALARY: $28.24 per hour plus 12% in lieu of all benefits
The Parks and Recreation Department is looking for a positive team player to work with our Arboriculture Team to maintain our inventory of street and park trees.
- Supporting pruning crews;
- Assisting in a full range of supportive tree maintenance activities;
- Conduct watering duties for both Arboriculture and Horticultural areas with a large water truck;
- Interact with the public in a professional manner.
- Completion of Grade 12 (or equivalent).
- Experience in arboriculture/horticulture would be an asset.
- The successful candidate must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
- The successful candidate must be able to pass and maintain a clear Police Information Check.
- Knowledge or willingness to learn the methods, materials, tools and equipment used in the work.
- Ability to follow the safety precautions required in the work.
- Ability to effectively perform tasks with minimal supervision.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with crew members and other City departments.
- Ability to demonstrate and provide exceptional customer service skills.
- Ability to perform manual/physical labour and to work in all weather conditions.
- Valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License and clean driver’s abstract.
*The successful candidate will be available to work up to 40 hours per week (which may include weekends and shift work). Work terms are based on operational requirements and may be up to 10 months in duration and may be adjusted due to the seasonal and operational requirements.
Apply by sending your resume quoting competition #19-08, by January 25, 2019, to the Human Resources Department, City of New Westminster, 511 Royal Avenue, New Westminster, BC, V3L 1H9, Fax: (604)527-4619 or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The City of New Westminster welcomes diversity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.