BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Communications OfficerFull-Time Regular
Location: 4730 Kingsway, Burnaby
Join us as we help shape the place people want to be – Metro Vancouver, one of the world’s most livable regions. The services and solutions we provide are the foundation of our region’s economic, ecological and social health. This includes the areas of regional growth planning, air quality, water, liquid and solid waste management, regional parks, affordable housing and community engagement to over 2.5 million residents. We don’t stop, we don’t close and we do what is right, for now and for future generations.
We invite you to bring your skills, passion, and expertise to help us in our commitment to sustain and enhance our region’s livability. We offer competitive salaries; exceptional benefit packages with valuable pension plan; employee wellness and recognition programs; and many diverse opportunities for professional growth and development.
We deliver the exceptional services and solutions that have helped make this one of the most special, livable communities in the world, and we want you to join us. Help us shape the future of the Metro Vancouver region, and shape the place people want to be.
We need leadership, dynamism, and expertise to guide and protect the livability of our region. We need you.
Our Water Services Department is seeking a Communications Officer who will be responsible for external communications and engagement with different target audiences, including the public and stakeholders interested or impacted by significant drinking water infrastructure construction projects. By communicating and engaging effectively, you will help build positive relationships with communities across the region.
You have excellent written and verbal communication skills, are highly organized, with superior time management skills. You have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to maintain effective working relationships with a variety of internal and external contacts. Preferably, you have related experience and a degree in Communications or related field.
- Supports the preparation and implementation of Engagement and Communications Strategies for large infrastructure construction projects.
- Prepares communications materials for construction projects including newsletters, signage, fact sheets and display panels for community meetings. Prepares website and social media content and manages Twitter account.
- Meets with and provides assistance, program and other information to various community groups, associations, agencies, organizations, private consultants and the public. Assists in the provision of effective liaison and mutual communication between such groups and individuals and Metro Vancouver staff, Metro Vancouver Committees and Board.
- Reviews, refines and executes methods and procedures to ensure effective promotion of various meetings, displays and events; schedules such events at sites and publicizes same.
- Liaises with internal and external consultants and Program Managers, assists same in developing promotional programs and prepares and makes presentations on various Metro Vancouver activities.
- Liaises between Metro Vancouver construction project teams, the public and member jurisdictions regarding construction projects; serves as public engagement resource to engineering staff in interpreting potential public impacts; provides background information to staff on communities affected by construction; participates with staff in seeking resolutions to the more difficult issues.
- Supports the planning and implementation of public engagement events such as open houses, public meetings, tent-in-parks and high impact stakeholder meetings. Attends committee meetings, prepares reports, answers enquiries and provides information to the public as required. Interprets complex engineering and traffic plans
- Updates information related to various projects and programs, inputs computer data and utilizes audio visual equipment and presentation techniques.
- Performs related work as required.
To be successful, you have:
- Completion of Grade 12 preferably supplemented by university graduation in a field related to the work such as social sciences, communications, media or public relations, plus sound related experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Considerable knowledge of the functions, programs, activities, objectives and procedures of assigned Metro Vancouver departments.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of gathering, analyzing and disseminating program and activity information.
- Sound knowledge of the methods and procedures of planning, organizing and executing displays and promotional events.
- Some knowledge of purposes and roles of related public organizations.
- Ability to organize meetings, events, and displays and to ensure for the development and maintenance of communications between Metro Vancouver officials and departments and related external contacts.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of internal and external contacts.
- Ability to gather, research, analyze, edit, assemble and disseminate a variety of program information related to various Metro Vancouver departments.
- Ability to train subordinate staff and to direct and oversee the work of same on various promotional projects.
- Ability to exercise independent judgement and action with a minimum of direction and to schedule and process a variety of work assignments.
- Class 5 Driver's License for the Province of British Columbia.
Metro Vancouver seeks to achieve what humanity aspires to on a global basis – the highest quality of life embracing cultural vitality, economic prosperity, social justice and compassion, all nurtured in and by a beautiful and healthy natural environment.
Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by January 25, 2019.
Location: Burnaby, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Communications
Posted: January 11, 2019, 11:02 am
Expires: January 25, 2019, 4:30 pm