BC Local Government Job Posting Service
City of Williams Lake
Corporate Engagement Officer
One Year Term (may be extended)
For lifestyle, Williams Lake’s mixture of frontier charm and urban living can’t be beat. We are a regional centre with all major amenities. Living and housing is very affordable with a range of residential opportunities from modern urban subdivisions and townhouses to large rural properties. The attractive mix of high-quality lifestyle and surrounding pristine wilderness playground makes Williams Lake a great place to live, work, play, and raise a family.
Williams Lake offers year-round opportunities for outdoor enthusiasts. In the winter, the Cariboo offers snowmobiling opportunities and amazing cross-country ski trails, as well as snowshoeing and ice fishing. Williams Lake, known across North America as the “Shangri-La of Mountain Biking”, boasts the largest mountain bike park in the British Columbia’s interior, and over 200 kilometres of single track trails and tens of thousands of board feet of lumber constructing a variety of riding features all within metres of the City. The lake city is a great base for hiking, camping, four-wheeling, waterskiing, swimming, golfing and sport fishing as well. Our indoor recreation facilities are first rate, with the Cariboo Memorial Recreational Complex offering a brand new leisure pool with waterslide, new lap pool, steam room, sauna, massive swirl pool along with two arena ice sheets, and a brand new fitness centre.
POSITION; Exempt Staff (Union Exempt)
HOURS OF WORK: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., five days a week, Monday to Friday inclusive and attendance at meetings as required.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
The Corporate Engagement Officer is responsible for the development, implementation and management of corporate communications, policies and programs. Further, this position will be responsible for developing and executing internal and external communication strategies, plans and programs that support the corporation. This shall include, but is not limited to, written communication(s), issues management, media relations, and superior editing skills which will produce professional, contemporary and successful communication products. The Corporate Engagement Officer shall provide analytical, time-sensitive communications leadership in a team-driven and highly confidential environment. The position is also responsible for developing and writing grant proposals. The position will assemble and submit grant requests, conduct prospect research, and maintain a calendar of submissions and other deadlines. The Corporate Engagement Officer will proactively deliver a full range of initiatives to support the City’s focus on customer service, community and business engagement.
The Corporate Engagement Officer shall be responsible to the Director of Legislative Services and provide support to Mayor, Council and Management staff.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develops and implements an effective Communications Strategic Plan.
- Prepares and executes communications plans and strategies in support of the general goals and policies set out by the organization.
- Provides expert advice and direction to the management team, Mayor and Council regarding messaging and issue management.
- Researches, writes, edits, reviews and monitors editorial content for a wide variety of print and digital media.
- Develops, controls and monitors City communications and graphic standards.
- Provides communications expertise as a member of the Emergency Operations Centre.
- Plans, prepares and delivers communications during emergency or crisis situations.
- Leads the development of projects and initiatives and stays informed on the nature of projects taking place.
- Influences and provides functional guidance to staff engaged in communications activities in various departments.
- Promotes public awareness and educates the public regarding City initiatives and programs.
- Manages media relations to promote positive media coverage, prepares news features and news releases, organizes news conferences, responds to media inquiries and acts as a spokesperson when necessary.
- Writes, coordinates, and evaluates various communications activities within deadline, including public information, briefing documents, speeches, and presentations.
- Designs, coordinates and manages production of external print publications within budget and deadline, including newsletters, public service announcements, advertising copy, brochures.
- Organizes and attends corporate and special events, such as public meetings, open houses, grand openings, inaugurations, ceremonies and celebrations.
- Designs, develops and ensures the consistent presentation of information on the corporate website and social media sites.
- Ability to craft funding proposals in a clear and compelling manner.
- Coordinates with the Management Team to identify priorities and opportunities.
- Researches and identifies grant funding opportunities for community and regional projects and programs and communicate potential funding sources to appropriate staff.
- Provides regular updates on Grant status and new applications.
- Prepares grant funding submissions for priority community projects and programs.
- Works closely with Northern Development Initiative Trust on accessing grant opportunities.
- Establishes and maintains good working relationships.
- Maintains calendar to ensure timely submission of letters of inquiry, proposal deadlines, and reports.
- Conducts prospect research for a wide variety of opportunities.
- Prioritizes projects to keep multiple projects moving in a timely manner, meets deadlines and manages supplemental material required for proposals.
- Other related duties from time to time may be assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Completion of a University Degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations/Affairs or a related discipline.
- Minimum of three (3) years experience in a corporate communications environment. Experience in public administration or local government preferred.
- Valid Driver’s Licence is essential.
- Must be willing to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends when required.
- Thorough knowledge of communications policies and practices within a public administration environment.
- Developed knowledge of communications planning, strategies, services, and products for a wide variety of internal and external clients and target audiences.
- Proven ability to develop and implement communications plans, reports and analyze consequences using strategic thinking.
- Strong media relations skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and adjust timelines accordingly.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet demanding timelines.
- Strong planning, organization and problem solving abilities.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills, including media and presentation software.
- Experience with public presentations.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and to handle highly confidential and sensitive issues with skill, tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with Mayor, Council, Staff, Public and Media.
A Competitive Salary for this non-union position will be commensurate with experience and education. It will include a comprehensive benefits package as well as a compressed work week schedule if desired. The City of Williams Lake is dedicated to continuation of Professional Development and is supportive of Employee Wellness initiatives.
Interested candidates are invited to submit a detailed resume and cover letter outlining qualifications, experience, copies of applicable certifications, and letters of reference no later than 4:00 pm, February 1, 2019 to the attention of Ashley Williston, Director of Human Resources, City of Williams Lake, 450 Mart Street, Williams Lake, BC, V2G 1N3 - Fax (250) 392-8484, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Location: Williams Lake, BC
Region: North Central / Cariboo
Professional Categories: Corporate Administration,Corporate Services
Posted: January 10, 2019, 9:47 am
Expires: February 1, 2019, 4:00 pm