BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Surrey, British Columbia
About the Opportunity
In 2012 we established our professional practice in Surrey to better serve a variety of First Nation and municipal clients throughout the Fraser Valley region. Since then, our team in Surrey has grown to include a blend of twenty-four professionals who bring passion, energy and dedication to the work they do and the communities they serve. To continue to serve the growing demand from our clients, we are looking to add an experienced Civil Engineer with 7+ years of experience to our team.
In this role you will assist in the planning, design, and construction of several projects. We are looking for someone who has demonstrated experience, entrepreneurial drive, and passion:
- To support and lead the continued growth of our engineering practice in the local market including leveraging existing client relationships and identifying and generating new opportunities,
- To act as a client leader, developing and maintaining client relationships while strengthening our market position,
- To connect with and leverage the in-house expertise of our broader engineering practice and work in concert to develop client relationships and deliver project work, and
- To support and provide technical leadership/oversight on our engineering project needs in the site servicing design-build market for a wide range of projects to ensure we are delivering high quality projects to our clients.
We are looking for an experienced professional who can work with us in continuing to build our practice with a particular emphasis on municipal engineering, project leadership, and client relations. Our preferred candidate will have at least seven (7) years of experience and knowledge of municipal and community infrastructure design and construction. We are looking for an individual who will fit with our practice vision and company culture. In addition, the following attributes would be considered of great benefit to this role:
- You are suited to consulting given your instincts for:
- Listening to others to develop and nurture positive interpersonal relationships with people from varying backgrounds, including colleagues and clients
- Generating practical solutions to problems in a collaborative work environment
- Working hard to deliver value to communities
- You thrive in a self-directed work environment. You take initiative, are a problem solver, and continually deliver consistent, high quality work.
- You are passionate about understanding key community dynamics and working closely with clients to provide innovative and ‘out of the box’ solutions.
- You can demonstrate progressive project experience in general civil engineering including:
- Interfacing with clients, demonstrating firm's capabilities, determining clients' needs and preparing proposals based on estimated work-hours and firm's schedule of fees,
- Leading preliminary and detailed engineering design for assignments including municipal utilities, drainage, site development, and roads,
- Acting as engineer of record or project director for projects involving design drawings, specifications, cost estimates, schedules and tender documents,
- Coordinating and participating in liaison with private and public sector clients, government approval agencies, Indigenous communities, utility companies and key stakeholders,
- Directing, coordinating and expediting activities of a civil design team to achieve project objectives,
- Reviewing activities, costs, operations and forecast data to determine project team progress toward stated objectives,
- Assigning junior staff to various projects and monitor their progress,
- Coordinating with project managers and various discipline engineers and ensuring consistency in execution of civil design activities to complete project work on time, on budget and within the quality standards of the firm, and
- Guiding and mentoring junior engineers and designers.
- You are either already registered with EGBC or are immediately eligible.
Recognized as one of Canada’s top employers, Urban Systems is an employee-owned inter-disciplinary consulting firm based in Western Canada. In business since 1975, we have four decades of experience working with a variety of clients including all levels of government, Indigenous communities, commercial and residential land developers, and the natural resource sector. Our team of over 450 people, across multiple branch offices, is committed to helping build vibrant communities of all sizes.
Our Commitment to You
At Urban Systems, we make significant investments in our people, which is why we take great care to hire those who we believe will thrive in Urban Systems over the long term. We’ve become recognized as a workplace of choice by nurturing a unique corporate culture that sets us apart and provides:
- Challenging and interesting project opportunities
- A fun workplace, where hard work accomplishes great things
- Flexible work environment
- The opportunity to work with industry leading professionals in a collaborative environment
- Ongoing career development and learning
- Meaningful rewards and recognition
How to Apply
If this describes your background, your skills and your natural talents, please check out our website for more information and submit your resume and covering letter along with a completed Candidate Questionnaire (available for download on our site).
Deadline for applications: January 23, 2019