BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Regular Full Time
January 2, 2019
January 17, 2019
Under the general supervision and direction of the Fleet Supervisor, this position maintains all municipal vehicles, heavy equipment, stationary diesels and small equipment.
- Contributes to the success of our team and creation of our community, by fostering the District of Squamish corporate values in their work: thinking beyond today, working together, acting with courage and enthusiasm, doing the right thing, and striving to do better every day.
- Follows the District of Squamish’s Customer Service Guidelines to ensure the Delivery of Outstanding Service.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists with scheduling and carries out regular servicing and repairs on municipal mobile equipment, stationary diesels and small equipment in accordance with Federal and Provincial regulations.
- Directs and instructs mechanics helpers, truck drivers and equipment operators by assigning and checking tasks associated with the maintenance of municipal mobile equipment.
- Assists with coordination of contract services for maintenance of all municipal mobile equipment, stationary diesels and small equipment.
- Assists with determination of specifications of new equipment.
- Fabricates and repairs mechanical equipment and devices as assigned.
- Provides technical advice to supervisors and managers relating to mobile and small equipment.
- Assists with maintaining an inventory of parts by checking stock and ordering replacement material.
- Assists with maintaining all service records and servicing schedules for the equipment preventative maintenance program.
- Maintains the Public Works fleet maintenance area in a clean and safe condition.
- Completes maintenance record forms and servicing sheets.
- Performs the duties of the Fleet Supervisor in regards to fleet maintenance in the absence of the FleetSupervisor.
- Utilizes vehicle maintenance software (RTA) for tracking and reporting purposes.
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Thorough knowledge of small equipment, automotive and heavy equipment maintenance.
- Basic knowledge of record keeping.
- Familiarity with municipal policies and procedures.
- Ability to work safely and in compliance with the District of Squamish Health and Safety Policy, WorkSafe BC and WHMIS Guidelines.
- Practices, participates, and ensures adherence to established safety policies, safe work procedures, regulatory compliance, training and reporting.
- Good organizational skills.
- Ability to weld using gas or electric equipment.
- Ability to perform multiple duties simultaneously with deadlines.
- Ability to read, understand and interpret maintenance manuals and schematics.
- Ability to supervise other staff.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions and procedures.
- Ability to prepare written reports.
- Familiarity with, and ability to operate vehicle maintenance management system software.
REQUIRED TRAINING, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Grade 12
- Possession of a valid B.C. Class 3 Driver's License with air endorsement
- Qualified JourneymanMechanic
- Experience with Vehicle Maintenance Management Systems
- 5 years experience as a mechanic.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience.
Hours of Work:
40 hours per week, Monday to Friday. Summer hours 7am to 3:30pm, Winter Hours 8am to 4:30pm.
$36.90 per hour
This is a Union position within the Collective Agreement of CUPE Local 2269 and the District of Squamish.
Direct Your Application (Quoting Competition #) To: #18-78
District of Squamish
37955 Second Avenue, P.O. Box 310, Squamish, B.C., V8B 0A3