BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Regional Planner I (Affordable Housing)Full-Time Regular
Location: 4730 Kingsway, Burnaby
Join us as we help shape the place people want to be – Metro Vancouver, one of the world’s most livable regions. The services and solutions we provide are the foundation of our region’s economic, ecological and social health. This includes the areas of regional growth planning, air quality, water, liquid and solid waste management, regional parks, affordable housing and community engagement to over 2.5 million residents. We don’t stop, we don’t close and we do what is right, for now and for future generations.
We invite you to bring your skills, passion, and expertise to help us in our commitment to sustain and enhance our region’s livability. We offer competitive salaries; exceptional benefit packages with valuable pension plan; employee wellness and recognition programs; and many diverse opportunities for professional growth and development.
We deliver the exceptional services and solutions that have helped make this one of the most special, livable communities in the world, and we want you to join us. Help us shape the future of the Metro Vancouver region, and shape the place people want to be.
We need leadership, dynamism, and expertise to guide and protect the livability of our region. We need you.
As a member of the Affordable Housing team, within the Housing Department, you will support the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the Regional Affordable Housing Strategy and support Metro Vancouver Housing (Corporation) in the identification and assessment of redevelopment opportunities.
You are: Knowledgeable of factors affecting affordable housing, including land use planning, land and development economics, and the effects of social inequality and marginalization. You are keen to use this knowledge to advance the goals of the Regional Affordable Housing Strategy as well as support Metro Vancouver Housing (Corporation) identify opportunities to increase the amount of affordable housing units in the region. You are a good communicator and passionate about providing affordable, safe and secure housing in the region.
- Performs specialized regional development services tasks entailing development of work plans, research, comprehensive report writing, development and preparation of policy proposals, and the follow-up and processing of the results of decisions from technical and political committees relative to their consideration of regional development policy proposals.
- Ensures for, and participates in the development, maintenance and operation of regional transportation, development and demographic computer models; interprets results of same to political and technical committees, municipal staffs and others.
- Acts in a liaison capacity between consultants, municipalities and Metro Vancouver to facilitate effective integration of project schedules; maintains liaison with various internal and external contacts concerned with municipal and transportation planning and regional development issues and trends.
- Attends related internal and external meetings and, as required, represents the Department to provide technical and professional advice on policy, goals and objectives, and regulations as they related to regional planning and related issues.
- Develops project specific computerized applications and programs for departmental use.
- Prepares and presents, as required verbal and audio-visual presentations and related material and displays on regional development programmes and projects.
- Assigns, checks and supervises the work of one or more technical and clerical staff engaged in research projects.
- Conducts regional development studies and prepares detailed reports resulting from such studies.
- Performs related work as required.
To be successful, you have:
- University graduation in Regional or Urban Planning at the Masters level and sound related experience; OR an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Membership or eligibility for membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles, practices, techniques, methods and procedures applicable to municipal and transportation planning and regional development.
- Considerable knowledge of the policies, rules and regulations governing the work performed.
- Considerable knowledge of the legal aspects of municipal development and of the bylaws and legislation related to planning and regional development activities performed.
- Considerable knowledge of computer operational and programming principles and practices where applicable and of current literature, trends and developments in fields related to the work.
- Ability to perform professional regional development work under general supervision.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external contacts.
- Ability to assign and supervise the work of one or more subordinates engaged in technical and clerical work.
- Driver's License for the Province of British Columbia.
Metro Vancouver seeks to achieve what humanity aspires to on a global basis – the highest quality of life embracing cultural vitality, economic prosperity, social justice and compassion, all nurtured in and by a beautiful and healthy natural environment.
Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by January 16, 2019.
Location: Burnaby, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Planning & Development
Posted: January 2, 2019, 11:07 am
Expires: January 16, 2019, 4:30 pm