BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Director of Public Works
Sun Peaks Mountain Resort Municipality is a vibrant new resort community boasting world class skiing, mountain biking, hiking and golf. It is an outdoor enthusiasts dream. This young community has a ski-in/ski out school, seasonal farmers markets and endless festivals for all to enjoy.
Sun Peaks Mountain Resort Municipality is currently looking for an individual to fill the role of Director of Public Works. The Director of Public Works, under the direction of the Chief Administrative Officer, will primarily be responsible to authorize and organize the management of the Public Works department and associated staff positions. The public works department comprises utilities, roads, parks and facilities. This position will advise the CAO and elected representatives on policy questions and refer major policy recommendations to these representatives for final decision. The Director of Public Works ideally should have a minimum designation of A.Sc.T, three to five years of progressive experience in a management role, preferably in public administration, and appropriate certifications or licenses for water/sewer facilities and roads. The successful candidate will also have a demonstrated knowledge of applicable legislation and government policies and significant experience with policy development and implementation.
- Authorize and organize the establishment of departmental goals and associated staff positions
- Advise elected representatives on policy questions and refer major policy matters to these representatives for final decision
- Make presentations to Council and other committees regarding policies, programs, and budgets
- Bring innovative and practical ideas forward for review
- Review, evaluate and approve documents, briefs, and reports submitted by staff members or consultants
- Write clear and concise reports for Council review and deliberation
- Provide community leadership
- Participate in developing or amending policies, programs, and procedures
- Administer the Municipality’s funds according to the approved budget, and monitor its financial expenditures
- Make relevant organizational decisions, taking into account fiscal realities and departmental structure
- Represent the Municipality at local, regional and national meetings and conferences
- Respond to matters of concern to constituents and the general public
- Develop, implement, and monitor long-term plans, goals, and objectives focused on achieving the Municipality’s mission and Council priorities
- Develop recommendations to enact, amend or repeal policies, bylaws and regulations
- Attend Council meetings and provide information and recommendations for Council to consider in their decision making
- Communicate with municipal Council on internal and external issues that affect the organization
- Review all subdivision, land use and development applications for technical and servicing requirements
- Develop preventative maintenance programs for all areas of responsibility including equipment, structures and parks/fields, roads and facilities that also address life cycling
- Oversee engineering studies or contracts for the Municipality. Recommends to CAO when external assistance is required
- Supervises consultants work as well as contracted support; inspects projects and invoicing. Prepares ongoing status reports on key projects
- Directs input to the preparation of, and revisions to, the Official Community Plan, Zoning Bylaws, servicing agreements and other planning documents or bylaws
- Cultivate a work environment committed to the health, safety, and wellness of all employees
- Aid in the direction of the Health and Safety plan.
- Change Management – Able to identify, implement, and communicate organizational changes successfully to relevant stakeholders.
- Continuous Improvement – Strives to improve job responsibilities through developing skills and increasing knowledge.
- Cooperation – Works with others to prevent unnecessary conflict and share resources to encourage symbiotic relationships within the organization.
- Decision Making – Makes concrete, well-informed and thought-out decisions that support the overall organization. Has the ability to make quick, effective decisions even when data and details are limited.
- Leadership – Works well with a wide range of individuals to provide support, coaching, encouragement, and direction as well as manages public issues and complaints in a responsible manner.
- Resource and Fiscal Management – Uses resources such as human capital, supplies, products, materials, and other useable items effectively and with foresight to available and limited funds.
- Strategic Thinking – Analyzes and interprets the strategic direction of the organization. Has a clear and firm understanding of the vision, mission, values, and objectives that align with long-term plans and growth.
- Ideally, A.Sc.T or combination of relevant education and experience
- 3-5 years of progressive experience in a management role, preferably in public administration
- Appropriate certifications or licenses for water/sewer facilities and roads
- Knowledge of advanced principles and practices of public administration and local government administration
- Ability to develop and administer municipality-wide goals, objectives, policies, procedures, work standards, and internal controls
- Demonstrated knowledge of applicable legislation and government policies
- Significant experience with policy development and implementation
- Ability to identify and respond to sensitive community, organizational, and city Council issues, concerns, and needs
- Experience with budget preparation and management
- Intuitive grasp of organizational structure to manage cross-departmental and cross-disciplinary resource allocation
- Sound analytical thinking, planning, prioritization, and execution skills
- Strong formal and informal leadership skills
- Operation of desktop computer and peripherals
- Attendance and conducting of public presentations
- Moderate overtime
- Occasional travel
- Extended periods of sitting
- Working in an office environment
- High levels of stress or pressure
- Working in an outdoor alpine environment
A competitive remuneration package for a smaller municipality is offered that includes benefits, pension plan and winter ski pass. Salary is commensurate with experience.
If you are interested in pursuing this opportunity please submit a cover letter and resume to Rob Bremner at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The closing date for this application is January 25, 2019.
We appreciate all applications; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Location: Sun Peaks, BC
Region: Thompson / Shuswap / Columbia
Professional Categories: Public Works & Operations
Posted: December 28, 2018, 8:42 am
Expires: January 25, 2019, 4:30 pm