BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Manager, Parks Planning & Resource ManagementParks & Environmental Services, Regional Parks
$110, 500 - $130, 000 annually (2018 rates)
Review of applications begins 4:00pm on January 18, 2019, but the position will remain open until filled.
This position is responsible for planning, resource management and major facility development to ensure that CRD Regional Parks achieves the highest standards of public service and stewardship in protecting the natural environment and providing opportunities for outdoor experiences and activities.
Key Accountabilities / Position Outcomes
- Leads the planning, resource management and development processes of key parks, resource management and development (PRMD) initiatives so that strategic objectives of Regional Parks can be met. These include:
- CRD Parks Strategic Plan
- Individual Park and Trail Management Plans
- Resource Management programs and services
- The Land Acquisition Program
- 10 Year Capital Program
- Business Planning
- Ensures policies, structures, systems, resources and management practices are in place and effective to support the initiatives listed above.
- As a member of the Regional Parks management team, works collaboratively with other managers to ensure division strategic, operating and business objectives are well coordinated and resources are managed to create a highly functioning fiscally responsible organization.
- Uses diplomacy and strong communication, presentation and relationship building skills to create and maintain a strategic network of stakeholders including partners, regulatory authorities, elected officials, environmental agencies, First Nations groups, and other internal and external groups supportive of PRMD and Regional Parks objectives.
- Uses leadership, coaching, and employee development practices to create a highly engaged team of professionals and staff with the knowledge, skills and abilities to ensure current PRMD goals and objectives are met, and future divisional needs are identified and addressed.
- A master’s degree in parks, greenways and conservation planning, resource management or other applicable field plus 10 years relevant, progressively responsible experience, primarily in a natural parks environment, with at least 5 years of which are at a management level. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Membership in the Planning Institute of British Columbia
Role-specific Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Planning theory, principles and professional practices and their application to parks planning.
- Concepts of park planning, public sector land use planning, natural area conservation and management, outdoor recreation management and human use management in a park setting.
- Working with First Nations Communities
- Ecosystem-based management and the use of environmental information in park planning.
- Knowledge and experience of contract design, management and oversight.
- Good understanding of geographic information mapping.
- Exceptional conflict resolution, negotiation, project management, and interpersonal skills.
- Good understanding of public participation and social research techniques and principles.
- A valid BC driver’s license
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please submit your resume and covering letter online at www.crd.bc.ca under “Careers”.
The CRD wishes to thank you for your interest and advises that only those candidates under active consideration will be contacted.
Location: Victoria, BC
Region: South Vancouver Island
Professional Categories: Parks & Recreation,Strategic Initiatives/Planning,Facilities Management/Development
Posted: December 21, 2018, 1:44 pm
Expires: January 18, 2019, 4:00 pm