BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Director of Utilities and Environmental Services(Permanent Full-Time)
The Squamish-Lillooet Regional District (SLRD) is located in southwestern BC and consists of 4 electoral areas and 4 member municipalities (Squamish, Whistler, Pemberton and Lillooet). The region contains some of the most spectacular forests, waterways, and mountains in the province and affords an endless range of opportunities for outdoor adventure.
Headquartered in Pemberton, which is the approximate geographic centre of the region, the SLRD delivers a wide range of regional, sub-regional and local services to its residents. Services include land use planning, solid waste management, building inspection, fire protection, emergency preparedness, 911 services, recreation, water and sewer utilities, parks, trails and open spaces as well as financial support for various community services.
The SLRD is currently seeking to fill the permanent full-time position of Director of Utilities and Environmental Services. Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer, this senior management position is responsible for directing the management and operations of a diverse department which provides various services to the electoral areas. This involves prioritizing special projects and daily operational requirements of various separate cost centres, including 8 water systems, 4 sewer systems, 4 landfill/transfer stations, a regional Solid Waste and Resource Management Plan, a regional trail system, numerous local trails and park spaces, and also includes the administration of relevant grant-funded and contracted projects.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A Post-Secondary Degree in Engineering or related discipline, or professional recognition as an Applied Science Technologist or Technician, supplemented by 5 or more years of relevant experience in a management position, preferably in local government, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- The ability to manage a multi-disciplinary team
- A thorough working knowledge of provincial and federal regulations relating to drinking water, sewage effluent and solid waste
- Demonstrated experience with developing operational budgets and planning for capital renewal and growth
- High degree of integrity, confidentiality and accountability
- An ability to thrive in a position where various, diverse roles are required
In addition, the ideal candidate will also possess demonstrated knowledge and experience in the following areas:
- Engaging communities and stakeholder groups
- Capital Asset Management Plans, Policies and Strategies
- Contract drafting and administration
Compensation will be determined commensurate with knowledge, skills and ability, and includes a comprehensive benefit package and Municipal Pension Plan, and offers the ability to work a compressed work week (nine-day fortnight).
Interested candidates are invited to submit their resume with a covering letter by email, no later than Sunday, January 20, 2019 to:
Attn: Lynda Flynn, CAO Squamish-Lillooet Regional District firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information and a full job description visit www.slrd.bc.ca.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Location: Pemberton, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Engineering
Posted: December 14, 2018, 2:10 pm
Expires: January 20, 2019, 4:30 pm