BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Project Engineer(Full-Time Temporary - This position is to last not later than December 31, 2019)
Location: 4730 Kingsway, Burnaby
Join us as we help shape the place people want to be – Metro Vancouver, one of the world’s most livable regions. The services and solutions we provide are the foundation of our region’s economic, ecological and social health. This includes the areas of regional growth planning, air quality, water, liquid and solid waste management, regional parks, affordable housing and community engagement to over 2.5 million residents. We don’t stop, we don’t close and we do what is right, for now and for future generations.
We invite you to bring your skills, passion, and expertise to help us in our commitment to sustain and enhance our region’s livability. We offer competitive salaries; exceptional benefit packages with valuable pension plan; employee wellness and recognition programs; and many diverse opportunities for professional growth and development.
We deliver the exceptional services and solutions that have helped make this one of the most special, livable communities in the world, and we want you to join us. Help us shape the future of the Metro Vancouver region, and shape the place people want to be.
Our Liquid Waste Services Department is seeking a Project Engineer who will work on routine engineering projects and substantial components of complex engineering initiatives, perform varied reliability engineering that will include vibration, oil, and ultrasound data analysis, failure and root cause analysis, Maintenance Task Analysis (MTA) and regulatory compliance programs, handle problems of some complexity requiring inspection and liaison with contractors and other staff to investigate related operating, construction, and design issues in order to ascertain alternatives.
You are: A detail-oriented, team player and organized individual who is able to work efficiently with limited supervision, has knowledge and experience in project management and reliability engineering and is comfortable learning and working with new software applications and technologies related to Lubrication, Vibration and Ultrasound data analysis.
In this role, you will:
- Performs a range of engineering and project management work including design; document preparation; specifications; contract administration; budgetary oversight; cost estimates; scheduling; and report writing.
- Prepares and tracks financial aspects of projects and provides project management oversight for multiple projects including contract administration.Sets and monitors project schedules.Monitors and controls costs within own work ensuring the effective and efficient expenditure of allocated funds making recommendations to senior engineers.
- Works on routine engineering projects and substantial components of complex engineering initiatives. Works to defined scope, schedule and budget and consults senior staff on deviations.May lead projects with well defined outcomes and acts as a resource to junior engineers and technical staff on routine operational issues.
- Handles problems of some complexity requiring inspection and liaison with contractors and other staff to investigate related operating, construction, and design issues in order to ascertain alternatives.Assesses, evaluates and incorporates technical requirements including input from external agencies and other Metro Vancouver departments.Explains difficult issues and works to establish consensus and compliance.
- Works with engineering staff and consultants and liaises with internal departments and external contacts including member municipalities, regulatory agencies and the general public; works on multiple simultaneous projects in various stages of completion.
- Researches, analyzes, interprets, and studies technical information. Makes conclusions and diagnoses problems based on a sound understanding and application of engineering principles.Ensures quality standards are upheld in field of specialization and establishes project plans based on priorities of the unit or team.
- Identifies non-standard conditions and makes recommendations for remedy.Uses judgment to adapt and apply procedures to address and resolve unusual or problem situations.Consults on difficult, complex or highly unusual matters or decisions and provides progress and technical updates to senior staff.
- Performs other related duties as required.
To be successful, you have:
- Bachelor of Applied Science degree in a relevant engineering discipline. Completion of a relevant 4 year engineer-in-training program; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Membership or eligibility for immediate membership as a registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) with the Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia (EGBC).
- Sound technical knowledge and understanding of engineering principles and their application in relevant discipline.
- Ability to interpret and apply standard engineering and related guidelines to area of specialty such as technical manuals, codes and regulations, contracting policies, safety regulations and corporate and board policies.
- Demonstrated contract administration and project management skills.Ability to organize and prioritize a complex series of project components to meet multiple time based deliverables requiring a high level of detail and accuracy.Demonstrates persistence to overcome obstacles.
- Sound written and oral communication skills; ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing including letter, report writing, and presentation skills.Ability to explain difficult issues and works to establish consensus and compliance.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build and maintain effective and respectful working relationships with internal and external contacts.Skill in dealing tactfully and sensitively in a variety of situations including contact with the public, member municipalities, government agencies and contractors.
- Ability to work under general direction and use sound independent judgment in adapting and applying procedures to address and resolve unusual or problem situations. Uses judgment to determine which methods are applicable in any given situation.Sound problem solving skills; ability to analyze business needs and provide strategic input.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team oriented work environment; contributes to the team with constructive ideas, information and experiences.
- Strong analytical and research skills and ability to present recommendations clearly. Displays a high degree of integrity and professionalism.
- Proficiency using Microsoft office programs, including Word, Excel, Outlook, and Project.
- Valid B.C. Class 5 Driver’s license.
Metro Vancouver seeks to achieve what humanity aspires to on a global basis – the highest quality of life embracing cultural vitality, economic prosperity, social justice and compassion, all nurtured in and by a beautiful and healthy natural environment.
Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by December 19, 2018.
Location: Burnaby, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Engineering
Posted: December 5, 2018, 12:06 pm
Expires: December 19, 2018, 4:30 pm