BC Local Government Job Posting Service
City of Williams Lake
Chief Water & Waste Treatment Plant Operator
Temporary - Full Time
Municipal Services-Water Waste Division
CURRENT RATE OF PAY:
$36.64 per hour plus 15%
HOURS OF WORK:
40 hours per week, shift work and overtime as required including evenings/weekends. Will be required to participate in the On Call Rotation.
For lifestyle, Williams Lake’s mixture of frontier charm and urban living can’t be beat. A regional centre with all major amenities. Living and housing is very affordable with a range of residential opportunities from modern urban subdivisions and townhouses to large rural properties. The attractive mix of high-quality lifestyle and surrounding pristine wilderness playground makes Williams Lake a great place to live, work, play, and raise a family.
Williams Lake offers year-round opportunities for outdoor enthusiasts. In the winter, the Cariboo offers snowmobiling opportunities and amazing cross-country ski trails, as well as snowshoeing and ice fishing. Williams Lake, known across North America as the “Shangri-La of Mountain Biking”, boasts the largest mountain bike park in the British Columbia’s interior, and over 200 kilometres of single track trails and tens of thousands of board feet of lumber constructing a variety of riding features all within metres of the City. The lake city is a great base for hiking, camping, four-wheeling, waterskiing, swimming, golfing and sport fishing as well. Our indoor recreation facilities are first rate, with the Cariboo Memorial Recreational Complex offering a brand new leisure pool with waterslide, new lap pool, steam room, sauna, massive swirl pool along with two arena ice sheets, and a brand new fitness centre.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
Responsible for the performance of skilled maintenance and repair work of a complex nature in relation to Water and Sewer Treatment Facilities and maintenance, which includes laboratory samples and analysis, recording of test and maintenance data, completion of preventative maintenance and lubrication of equipment and routine housekeeping of facilities. Participates as a member of the Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) Standby work group.
The incumbent is responsible to the Director of Municipal Services, under the general direction of the Manager of Water/ Waste and or designate.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensures the day-to-day operations, maintenance and inspection of the water and sewer treatment facilities, pumping stations, lagoons, reservoirs and appurtenant structures are completed in compliance with all statutory and workplace requirements; i.e. Ministry of Health, Ministry of Environment, Work Safe BC, City of Williams Lake policies.
- Ensures chemical handling, injection and record keeping of the disinfection equipment is completed in compliance with health and safety regulations.
- Shall be required to participate as a member of the Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) standby group
- Performs skilled laboratory analysis as it pertains to the water and sewer treatment facilities.
- Prepares reports and maintains detailed operation and maintenance records.
- Maintains the water and sewer treatment facilities in a neat and sanitary condition, and performs grounds maintenance as required.
- Develops safer and more efficient methods of work and ensures this is communicated to the Division Manager and employees.
- Conducts tours of the water and sewer treatment facilities.
- Responds to call-outs for maintenance and repair work at short notice.
- Performs other related duties as assigned and required.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum Grade XII
- Valid B.C. Driver’s License Class 3 with Air Endorsement
- Minimum 5 years recent related experience in Municipal Water and Sewer Treatment operations
- Water Distribution Level IV Certification of Qualification or Competency from Environmental Operators Certification Program
- Wastewater Treatment Level I Certification of Qualification or Competency from Environmental Operators Certification Program
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Demonstrated commitment to additional training in the correct operation of new equipment as required and to on-going upgrading of skills and abilities
- Ability to train and orient other employees in safe work practices as they pertain to the water and sewer treatment facilities
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to prioritize and organize work load
- Ability to operate related equipment including software
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position
- Theoretical and practical knowledge of:
- operation & maintenance of pumps, drives and related equipment;
- operation, preventative maintenance and lubrication procedures related to waterand sewage treatment facilities and all materials, tools and equipment required to perform same;
- operation and maintenance of disinfection systems and related equipment;
- laboratory analysis and related equipment
- Ability to work shift work, overtime as required and in inclement weather.
Interested candidates are invited to submit a detailed resume and cover letter outlining qualifications, experience, copies of applicable certifications, and letters of reference no later than 4:00 pm, January 4, 2018 to the attention of Ashley Williston, Director of Human Resources, City of Williams Lake, 450 Mart Street, Williams Lake, BC, V2G 1N3 - Fax (250) 392-8484, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Location: Williams Lake, BC
Region: North Central / Cariboo
Professional Categories: Sewer & Wastewater,Water Services
Posted: December 5, 2018, 11:25 am
Expires: January 4, 2019, 4:00 pm