DISTRICT OF SAANICH
Human Resource Specialist
Regular Full Time Position (Exempt)
The Saanich Police Department is seeking an experienced and knowledgeable Human Resources Professional to fill a new position within the Department as Human Resource Specialist. Under the direction of the Officer in Charge of the Staff Development Division, the HR Specialist will provide a full range of HR services to both management and staff from administration of workplace injury and illness claims through to the interpretation and administration of collective agreements and employer policy. The ideal candidate will be able to draw on their five (5) plus years of progressive HR experience in a unionized environment to provide information, advice, and services in the areas of managing health and safety issues, interpreting collective agreements, assisting with labour relations matters, assisting with personnel administration, conducting HR policy reviews, and delivering HR training.
The HR Specialist will play a critical role in supporting our staff so that we can provide the highest levels of police service delivery to our community. To that end, the successful applicant will need to leverage their strong interpersonal communication skills, analytical problem-solving abilities, and sound base of knowledge and experience to ensure the Department is providing HR services that meet legislative requirements, industry standards, and stakeholder expectations.
Qualifications for the HR Specialist position include:
- Bachelor’s degree in an HR-related field (e.g. Human Resource Management, Public Administration, Business Administration) and five (5) years of progressive HR professional experience that includes service to a unionized work environment.
- Chartered Professional in Human Resources (CPHR) designation preferred.
- Strong knowledge of the substantive and procedural requirements of relevant legislation to include (but not limited to) the Human Rights Code, Labour Relations Code, Workers Compensation Act, and related Regulations.
- Strong knowledge of substantive and procedural best practices for managing duty to accommodate, labour relations, benefit administration, and employee wellness.
- Excellent business English communication skills (oral and written).
- Must possess/maintain a valid Class 5 British Columbia Driver’s Licence.
The successful candidate must pass/maintain the required police enhanced reliability security clearance check, including polygraph testing. Applicant testing may be conducted as a part of the selection process.
The successful candidate will be required to work Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
The progressive annual salary for this Exempt position is $84,180 - $95,203 with an excellent benefits package. Job description and competition information can be found at www.saanich.ca. Please apply by 11:45 p.m. on FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 2, 2018 quoting competition number 231.18 to: Human Resources, District of Saanich, 770 Vernon Avenue, Victoria, BC, V8X 2W7 (Fax 250-475-5550) or Email email@example.com. As a component of the selection process, testing will be conducted. We thank all applicants for applying. Only those under consideration will be contacted.
Location: Saanich, BC
Region: South Vancouver Island
Professional Categories: Human Resources
Posted: October 10, 2018, 2:51 pm
Expires: November 2, 2018, 11:45 pm