Planner 2 – Planning Officer (R24)Salary: $61,665.45 – $70,367.02 annually
Full Time, BCGEU position
Location: Islands Trust Northern Office (Gabriola Island, BC)
Closing Date: September 28, 2018
The Islands Trust Area is a scenic archipelago of 13 major islands and more than 450 smaller islands within the Salish Sea. Our islands are characterized by vibrant communities, a rich cultural history and extraordinary ecology. The Northern Office provides land use planning services for seven local trust committees including Gabriola, Thetis, Denman, Hornby, Lasqueti, Ballenas-Winchelsea, and Gambier. Gabriola Island is located 20 minutes from Nanaimo, BC via BC Ferries.
The Planner 2 is an intermediate planning position reporting to the Regional Planning Manager and supporting the work of senior planners. The Planner 2 will be responsible for a wide variety of current and long-range planning assignments including reviewing development applications and referrals, responding to public enquiries, conducting planning research, preparing and presenting reports to local trust committees, liaising with external government agencies and First Nations, and engaging in a broad spectrum of community planning initiatives.
Education and Experience:
- A degree in planning or a related field such as geography, landscape architecture or environmental science, and three years’ professional planning experience (or an equivalent combination of education and experience);
- An understanding of BC planning legislation;
- An understanding of community planning best practices;
- Ability to read and interpret maps and plans;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Exceptional team-oriented interpersonal skills;
- Ability to effectively deal with political issues and to establish and maintain constructive working relationships with elected officials, staff, and the public; and
- A positive and professional demeanor and strong customer service orientation.
Preference may be given to candidates who also have:
- Experience working in a BC local government planning office;
- Previous involvement in Official Community Planning (OCP) or other community planning processes;
- Visual communication/graphics skills;
- Membership or eligibility for membership, in the Canadian Institute of Planners.
Applications will only be accepted through the BC Public Service Agency website. https://bcpublicservice.hua.hrsmart.com/hr/ats/Posting/view/54397
For more information about how to create or update your profile and how to submit your application, please refer to the Your Job Application page on the MyHR website.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition.
Please visit our website www.islandstrust.bc.ca to become familiar with the Islands Trust. We offer employees an excellent benefits package and tremendous professional development opportunities in a positive and respectful work environment. If you are seeking a challenging and rewarding career opportunity, please submit a resume and cover letter as per instructions above.
Location: Victoria, BC
Region: South Vancouver Island
Professional Categories: Planning & Development
Posted: September 14, 2018, 11:26 am
Expires: September 28, 2018, 4:30 pm