City of Surrey
Transportation Coop Students
The City of Surrey Engineering Department has an opportunity for Civil Engineering students in its Traffic Management and Parking Services sections. The Engineering Department is a fast-paced environment serving a rapidly growing city of over 530,000 residents.
These are excellent opportunities to gain immensely valuable experience with a very innovative team of passionate and dedicated transportation professionals. As a junior technical staff member you would provide support and assistance to senior engineering staff in administrative responsibilities, and performing moderate to complex technical work related to the completion of a variety of transportation engineering activities and projects.
The Traffic Management Section provides for the safe and efficient movement of people and goods on Surrey’s road network in order to contribute to a sustainable and livable community.
The Parking Services Section coordinates the regulation, management, and development of the City’s parking assets, in close cooperation with other City departments such as Transportation Planning, By-law Enforcement, Finance, and the Surrey Development Corporation, all with a view to contributing to a sustainable and livable community. Parking Services also oversees the installation of signs and pavement markings to communicate parking restrictions and responds to public requests for adjustments to parking in residential and commercial areas.
The Traffic Management Section’s duties include:
- Managing traffic signals and related devices, streetlights, traffic control signs and pavement markings.
- Performing a variety of tasks related to traffic engineering analysis, including problem identification, option evaluation, report preparation, responding to public inquiries, and field studies; and
- Performing technical analysis including assisting the traffic engineering staff with sign choice and placement, sightline assessments, and crosswalk and all-way stop evaluations.
- The level of responsibility will depend upon the candidate’s aptitude and initiative.
The Parking Service Section's duties may include but not limited to:
- The successful candidate will work as part of a team of engineering and administrative professionals.
- The work will involve a variety of tasks related to traffic engineering analysis and parking management, including, problem identification, option evaluation and report preparation, field surveys, regular response to public inquiries and follow-up to public action requests.
- Additional duties could include liaison with construction contractors and various City departments. The role offers a variety of tasks with a significant portion of work days spent in the field, either carrying out site assessments or meeting with residents.
- Applicants must have completed their first year and currently be enrolled in a Civil Engineering or other related engineering degree program.
- A valid driver's license is required.
- Successful applicants may be required to use their own vehicle for business purposes and purchase necessary business insurance. The City of Surrey reimburses 54 cents per kilometer for use of a personal vehicle.
- Experience working a customer service role is considered an asset.
- The successful candidate must be a team player, who possesses the ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with engineering professionals and the public; to establish and maintain effective working relationships; to understand and interpret engineering plans and specifications; and to collect and analyze data.
- Students must be able to commit to a minimum 8-month work term starting in January 2019.
These jobs will be posted until September 28th, 2018.
Apply online at www.surreycareers.ca
Location: Surrey, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Engineering,Transportation & Highways
Posted: September 13, 2018, 3:58 pm
Expires: September 28, 2018, 4:30 pm