City of Surrey
Finance Business Manager
Regular Full-Time - Exempt
As one of the fastest growing cities in Canada, City of Surrey is a globally recognized leader in building vibrant, sustainable communities through technology and innovation. City of Surrey employees are talented innovators, inspired by meaningful work and the opportunity to drive our city—and their careers—forward. Build a City. Build a Future at the City of Surrey.
The primary objective of this role will be to review the accounting transactions of the corporate finance section on a monthly basis and to lead the City’s financial year end process as well as provide assistance in optimizing the City’s various financial procedures and documentations. Reporting primarily to the Finance Reporting Manager, this position will be responsible for the monthly review of all corporate financial transactions and support enhancements and critical processes of the financial year end to ensure the City takes full advantage of resources and related technologies to achieve complete and accurate presentation of annual financial reports. This position involves analysing complex financial transactions and providing internal customer service, leadership and support related to general financial processes for the City. The incumbent will bring exceptional communication and organization skills, a focus on continual improvement, and a positive and practical approach to meeting objectives in order to establish the future direction of our corporate financial processes.
- Develop and maintain processes and procedures which ensure that year-end financial statements and related documents are presented in accordance with statutory requirements, applicable standards, processes and procedures.
- Oversee the working papers and related documentation related to the financial year-end.
- Facilitate the external audit and act as the point of person for the external Auditors during the year-end audit.
- Have experience and attention to detail in the application of the Public Sector Accounting Standards, the Community Charter and other relevant statutes.
- Supervise professional and clerical staff during the completion of set projects.
- Oversee the monthly corporate financial accounting transactions, analysis and reconciliations.
- Make ongoing recommendations for financial process improvements and efficiencies.
- Lead or assist with various projects, including process review and improvements, internal control reviews, and other departmental projects that may be assigned from time to time.
- Consult with City management and staff across departments to ensure development of best practices and standards related to financial processes and policies.
- Inform management and staff of new and/or revised relevant City and Departmental policies and procedures related to financial processes.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relations with senior management, staff, and the general public.
- Deal effectively and tactfully with the internal and external stakeholders.
- Persuade, analyze, reason, evaluate and problem solve.
- Exercise considerable independence of judgment and action on all aspects.
- Understand and analyze the relationships between complex business requirements and technological solutions that align with City business and create collaborative solutions.
- Completion of the Canadian Professional Accountant designation and a Bachelor’s Degree in related discipline from a recognized post-secondary institution with a minimum of 3 years of increasingly complex experience.
- Track record of successfully developing and executing interdepartmental initiatives.
- Completion of a Police Information Check.
- Knowledge of municipal government financial reporting and Unit4 Business World On! financial management system is an asset.
Conditions of Employment
- This position requires completion of a Police Information Check.
- Successful applicants must provide proof of qualifications.
This job closes on October 25, 2018. Please visit www.surreycareers.ca to apply.
Location: Surrey, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Financial Administration,Financial Management
Posted: September 13, 2018, 2:59 pm
Expires: October 25, 2018, 4:30 pm