The Corporation of the Village of Salmo
Level II Waste Water Treatment Facility Operator & Civic Works Equipment Operator
The village of Salmo is seeking a seeking a skilled, self-motivated, innovative problem solver to join our Civic Works team as a Level II Waste Water Treatment Facility Operator & Civic Works Equipment Operator (L2).
Family friendly Salmo, “the Hub of the Kootenays”, has a strong community spirit and is a fantastic place to live! Centrally located on Hwy 3 about 30 minutes from Trail, Castlegar, Nelson or Creston, Salmo offers the best of the outdoor life and mountain living. Salmo features beautiful parks, trails and rivers, affordable housing prices, both an elementary school and a new high school, a community centre that includes a full fitness centre, medical services, swimming pool, curling and hockey rinks, a ski hill, BMX bike-park, great fishing and much more. Nearby are beautiful lakes, two world-class ski resorts – Red Mountain and White Water - and a wide variety of outdoor adventure opportunities, plus the many amenities of our nearby neighbours. If you enjoy a job with lots of variety and prefer life in a small, vibrant, affordable village this is the place for you!
We are in the process of a major $2 million upgrade to our waste water treatment facility and collection system, so the successful candidate will have unique and exciting opportunity to work with the engineering team providing input to the final design and to be the team leader in bringing the new systems online. This will include planning and design input, environmental permitting, installation, operations, maintenance, commissioning, and other necessary renovations of the Village’s wastewater and sewer utility systems.
Our Civic Works Department operates a Level II Waste Water Treatment Facility and Level I Waste Water Collection System and a well-based Level 1 Water Distribution System. In addition the team improves and maintains the village’s municipal infrastructure, including roads, sidewalks, parks, dike and other facilities, and provides winter snow removal for the village. The waste water treatment system uses an activated sludge process. It includes primary screening at the headworks, two parallel oxidation ditches, two clarifiers, sludge de-watering, and treated effluent disposal to 5 rapid infiltration basins.
In addition to spearheading the WWTP upgrade, The L2 will work as part of an integrated team, while having overall responsibility for operation of the waste water treatment facility and collection system, working closely together to perform all village-related activities indoors and out, in all types of weather during all seasons and cover each others duties as required. The work involves some complexity and variety in the performance of skilled and semi-skilled tasks relating to water production, waste water collection and treatment.
As an equipment operator the L2 operates heavy equipment year-round including the John Deer 444 loader/snowplow, an excavator, grader and dump truck and other miscellaneous equipment along with the Civic Works team.
We are looking for a forward-thinking individual who is willing to grow with our team as we plan for the future. With several infrastructure renewal projects in our future we relish the opportunity to find someone who will become a long-term member of our team and assist us with planning and managing future infrastructure projects.
Duties are split approximately 60/40 between system operations and civic works projects. All duties are performed in accordance with legislation, good engineering practices and departmental policy, but also require independence
of judgement and resolution of technical challenges in day-to-day activities. Work is performed indoors and out under all seasonal weather conditions. Heavy lifting is required.
Instructions are received orally and in writing. The incumbent is expected to carry a village-supplied cell phone, respond to afterhours SCADA trouble calls and emergency snow removal requests necessary, and be available for back-up to other operations staff needing assistance on call outs. There is a regular on-call schedule for the civic works team. All education, training and required industry memberships are paid for.
A non-union facility we provide a competitive wage and benefits package and participate in the municipal pension fund.
- Valid EOCP Wastewater Treatment Level II (or Level I with the experience and ability to reach Level II within one year) or inter-provincial equivalent.
- BCWWA-Certified Backflow Assembly Tester.
- Minimum 4 years of experience in a wastewater utility, or any equivalent combination of education and experience, preferably in a municipal environment.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Windows programs including Excel and Word, data bases and SCADA Control Systems.
- Possession of a valid Class 5 BC Drivers Licence and a clear driving record.
- Post-secondary diploma, Water & Waste Water Technician
- Valid EOCP Wastewater Collection Level I
- Valid EOCP Water Distribution Level I
- Experience with a Water Distribution system
- Experience in systems programming and its application to utilities installations, operations and maintenance would be an asset.
- Air-brakes certification
- A mechanical aptitude with the ability to perform a variety of skilled and semi-skilled manual, mechanical, electronic and technical tasks related to the work using considerable independence of judgement.
- Demonstrable ability to establish effective working relationships with staff, contractors and the public, providing information, assistance, advice and direction as required.
- A willingness to undertake additional training and certification. (All training is paid for by the Village.)
A complete job description can be viewed on our website at www.salmo.ca
Interested applicants are requested to send their resume AND a covering letter to the undersigned prior to 4:00 p.m., Friday, September 28, 2018.
Anne Williams, Chief Administrative Officer – email@example.com
Box 1000 - 423 Davies Avenue Salmo BC V0G 1Z0 www.salmo.ca
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Location: Salmo, BC
Region: West Kootenay / Boundary
Professional Categories: Sewer & Wastewater,Water Services
Posted: September 12, 2018, 9:13 am
Expires: September 28, 2018, 4:00 pm