Great City, Great Work, Great Future!
Landscape Design Technician
DEPARTMENT: Development Services / Parks and Recreation
STATUS: Auxiliary (one year Maternity Leave) anticipated start date October 15, 2018
NO. OF POSITIONS: One
UNION: CUPE, Local 387
HOURS OF WORK: 35 hours per week*
SALARY: $60,156 - $70,821 annually
This position supports the design of innovative parks and open space or redevelopment of the same, and other temporary and permanent public realm initiatives (i.e. parklets, laneways, waterfront animation, streetscapes and public plazas), from conceptual design through construction management. This position also supports city wide parks and open space planning. The successful incumbent collaborates in a team-based setting on design projects; prepares conceptual plans and renderings, drafts detail plans; develops and recommends cost estimates, preliminary budgets and construction schedules; prepares project specifications, request for proposals and quotations and tender proposals; participates in the review of consultants’ work; coordinates, plans and carries out day-to-day contract administration tasks related to assigned projects; assists in facilitation as well as planning and preparing materials for public engagement events. The incumbent is self-directed, collaborative, creative, has a strong sense of good design, and possesses excellent written, verbal and graphic communication skills.
- Diploma in Landscape Design, Landscape Architecture or related discipline plus considerable work experience in landscape architecture and municipal parks planning or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Eligible for membership in the BC Society of Landscape Architects .
- Considerable knowledge of landscape construction methodologies and materials , drafting methods , landscape design principles and practices applicable to the work .
- Proficiency in computerized drafting and design hardware and software including AutoCAD , Adobe Suite, Microsoft Suite and SketchUp .
- Demonstrated ability to produce hand and computer generated drafting , drawing and graphic design.
- Ability to collaborate with interdepartmental municipal technical teams and external consultants on planning , designing and implementation of parks projects and public realm initiatives .
- Ability to assist in preparing conceptual and detailed plans for parks and open space projects.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the best practices related to assisting in contract administration including the monitoring of construction schedules and budgets, inspecting work in progress for compliance with plans, specifications and established quality standards and approving routine changes for work in progress and processing invoices for approval.
- Experience in preparing cost estimates, preliminary budgets, construction schedules , project specifications, request for proposals, evaluation of tenders , and selection of contractors and consultants .
- Demonstrated ability to participate in project planning meetings and public presentations , and responding to routine enquiries from the public.
- Considerable experience in assisting in the preparation of renderings/graphics for use in presentations and public engagement.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of internal and external contacts on matters related to the work; and to employ contemporary service excellence principles .
- Exemplary written and verbal communication skills to prepare presentation and general communication documents.
- Ability to exercise diplomacy, tact and good judgment when dealing with sensitive and/or challenging situations.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
Please note: City Hall hours of operation are Monday, 8am to 7pm, and Tuesday to Friday, 8am to 5pm.
Apply by sending your resume quoting competition #18-105, by September 21, 2018 to the Human Resources Department, City of New Westminster, 511 Royal Avenue, New Westminster, BC, V3L 1H9, Fax: (604)527-4619 or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.