Director, Strategic Initiatives(including Media Relations)
Reports To: Chief Executive Officer
Closing Date: October 15, 2018
The British Columbia School Trustees Association (BCSTA) is seeking a full-time Director of Strategic Initiatives. This position is responsible for leading our work in regard to a variety of BCSTA’s strategic initiatives, including a focus on building an expanded public profile. Additionally, this position is responsible for providing background research related to the K-12 education sector, oversight of specific internal and external projects and working groups, and primary responsibility for assigned key advocacy initiatives.
The Director, Strategic Initiatives also supports both formal external and internal communication for BCSTA, with a central focus on media relations and publishing. The Director will be a member of BCSTA’s senior staff team and participate in organizational and strategic planning.
- Background research and report writing on education sector issues and topics identified by the BCSTA Chief Executive Officer or Board of Directors
- Primary oversight of BCSTA media relations
- Planning and execution of social media communication
- Shared responsibility for production of BCSTA internal and external communications
- Shared planning and oversight of BCSTA formal publications, including layout and content writing
- Internal and external committee leadership and support
- Member liaison regarding a variety of K-12 education sector topics and inquiries
- Support both internal and external working groups as well as BCSTA events
- Conduct a variety of small and large group presentations at various events and locations around the province
- Support and expand BCSTA’s working relationship with the BC Ministry of Education and other K-12 education sector partner groups
- Provide leadership and support to BCSTA’s membership and staff on a variety of issues, topics and processes
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Education or directly related field. Preference given to candidates with a Master’s Degree or equivalent higher lever certification
- Minimum 10+ years of experience in the K-12 education sector, preferably with seniorlevel school district leadership experience
- Excellent understanding of organizational communication and media relations
- Experience dealing with media requests and responses
- A strong policy knowledge of the K-12 education sector
- Experience working with various government agencies and departments
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing for a variety of platforms
- Sound research and writing skills
- Excellent understanding and application of social media
- Comfortable working in a politicized environment, with a significant requirement for confidentiality
- Flexible work scheduling to respond to emergent needs
- Strong interpersonal skills and the desire to work as part of a management team
- A strong member-service focus
Preferred Abilities, Knowledge and Skills:
- In-depth knowledge of current public education issues in British Columbia
- Experience working with a variety of desktop publishing and design tools, including Adobe Creative Suite products and various survey programs
BCSTA offers a competitive salary and benefit package.
Please send curriculum vitae packages by October 15, 2018 to: email@example.com
Subject: “Director, Strategic Initiatives”
Candidates must be available for face-to-face interviews at BCSTA’s Vancouver office.
The British Columbia School Trustees Association serves and supports our members, BC’s 60 Boards of Education, in their key work of improving student achievement and meeting local education priorities. BCSTA provides professional learning, legal counsel, and communications support through our Vancouver office. Provincially, our non-profit Association acts as a strong, unified voice for Boards of Education in advocating to government, other education partners, and the public on matters affecting public education.
For more information, please visit www.bcsta.org.
Location: Vancouver, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Strategic Initiatives/Planning
Posted: September 11, 2018, 10:57 am
Expires: October 15, 2018, 4:30 pm