Engineering Technologist (Parks)
Stretching from Deep Cove in the east to the Capilano River Canyon in the west, the District of North Vancouver is characterized by innovative municipal government that maintains and enhances the quality of life for its residents and businesses. Fuelled by the District’s award-winning vision to build vibrant and sustainable communities for people of all ages and backgrounds, the District offers exciting professional development opportunities and an excellent total compensation package. A flexible, family-friendly employer with an inclusive work place culture, we are looking to fill this position. Come work for one of BC’s Top Employers and contribute to making this a great place to work!
We have an exciting full-time opportunity available for an Engineering Technologist with the Parks Department. In this role, you would perform technical and administrative work involving planning and coordinating the implementation of a wide range of park capital development and operational projects.
In this role you would be responsible for reviewing and preparing technical drawings, plans, specifications and tender documents for parks projects, as well as preparing detailed preliminary and final cost estimates. Under the direction of a supervisor, you will coordinate and maintain the parks capital and operational budgets, liaise with municipal staff, consultants and contractors retained under contract regarding parks projects, review plans for suitability of layout, accuracy and cost, inspect construction at various stages of completion, monitor costs, and report on progress and resolve issues. The successful candidate will attend meetings as required, and resolve queries from the public regarding parks development and operations. Preparing and maintaining a variety of records, files and correspondence related to work, and recommending acceptance or alteration of proposals is also a responsibility of the position.
The successful candidate will have:
- Considerable knowledge of landscape and park construction methods, as well as applicable municipal park design and engineering standards, principles, and practices and related rules, regulations, policies, and by-laws (sports fields, tennis courts, playgrounds, walls, lighting, trails);
- Considerable knowledge of the methods used in estimating costs of current material, labour and equipment costs for parks development projects, and in preparing capital and operating budgets;
- Ability to read and interpret landscape and construction design plans, to prepare plans and detailed specifications for a variety of parks development projects and to prepare detailed landscaping cost estimates, coordinate budget preparation, and monitor parks development project expenditures;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a wide range of internal and external contacts and to provide technical information, advice and interpretation of park and engineering requirements, policies, procedures, proposals and related matters;
- Ability to prepare and maintain records, files and correspondence as related to the work, with knowledge of park asset management programs;
- Sound knowledge of computer applications and capabilities as related to the work performed (e.g. Word, GIS, Civil 3D, AutoCAD, Adobe Suite, Microstation, Excel and Project Management)
Graduation from a diploma program from an Institute of Technology in Landscape or a related discipline, plus a minimum of 5 years related experience; or an equivalent combination of experience and education. Certification as an Applied Science Technologist of British Columbia, as well as a valid BC Driver’s License is required.
The pay range for this unionized position is $37.23 to $43.95 per hour based on a 37 ½ hour work week.
If you have what we’re looking for and thrive working in a fast paced environment with a group of enthusiastic and dedicated people, we want to hear from you. Please apply on-line with your resume and cover letter at www.dnv.org/careers by September 23, 2018.
We thank you for your interest in employment with the District of North Vancouver and advise that only those candidates shortlisted for an interview will be contacted.
Location: North Vancouver, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Engineering,Parks & Recreation
Posted: September 10, 2018, 10:57 am
Expires: September 23, 2018, 4:30 pm