City of Courtenay
The City of Courtenay has an exciting career opportunity in the Development Services Department for a Planning Supervisor. This is a union position subject to the terms and conditions of the current collective agreement between the City and CUPE Local 556.
Reporting to the Manager of Planning, this position provides direct oversight of the work of Planning Division staff including scheduling, assigning and overseeing tasks. The incumbent performs a variety of planning duties such as reviewing land use and development applications ensuring compliance with appropriate regulations and legislation; preparing bylaws, reports, and studies; facilitating application process; and ensuring timely application processing and quality of service
Minimum qualifications include:
- Degree from a Canadian Institute of Planners accredited Planning Program, or have an equivalent combination of post-secondary education and work experience
- Membership or eligibility for membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners and the Planning Institute of BC
- Considerable (5 – 7 years) work experience inboth planning policy development and land use/development control
- 1-2 years of supervisory experience in unionized environment
- Thorough knowledge of the philosophies, principles, and practices of municipal planning and urban design
- Thorough knowledge of Local Government and land use legislation in British Columbia
- Ability to effectively lead a team
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication, presentation, facilitation, organizational, time-management, research, problem solving, conflict resolution, negotiation and analytical skills
- Strong office computer skills
- Ability to meet strict deadlines in a busy work environment
- Ability to negotiate with applicants on complex planning decisions
- Ability to act in a coordinating capacity with City staff, officials, citizen’s groups, etc.
- Ability to be creative and use sound judgment in making planning recommendations
- Ability to work well as a team member
- Ability to provide prompt, positive, and responsive customer service
- Ability to prioritize departmental work plan
- Ability to deal effectively with representatives of government, business and development, the general public, City staff and Council member
- Valid BC Driver’s License
- Criminal Record Check
This is a full-time position available immediately. Hours of work are generally 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday. The 2018 wage rate, based on a 35-hour workweek is $43.25 per hour.
If you take pride in serving your community and your personal values align with the City of Courtenay’s Core Values, then submit your resume and cover letter quoting Competition # 18060 by September 30, 2018.
To submit your application, go to www.courtenay.ca/jobs
We sincerely thank all applicants – only those short-listed for interviews will be contacted.
Location: Courtenay, BC
Region: North and Central Vancouver Island / Sunshine Coast
Professional Categories: Planning & Development
Posted: September 10, 2018, 10:24 am
Expires: September 30, 2018, 4:30 pm