Manager, Police Services Operations
Regular Full Time (Exempt)
The City of Coquitlam is the sixth largest city in BC, home to more than 150,000 residents. Our municipality continues to grow through greenfield and infill development, innovative urban design, inspiring arts, culture and recreation programs, and state-of-the-art transportation systems. Our brand is built on managing our resources in a responsible and sustainable manner, while supporting a vibrant, growing regional urban centre.
After 34 years with the City of Coquitlam, our current Manager Police Services Operations will be retiring, creating an exciting opportunity for a qualified candidate to fill this vital leadership role as part of the City’s senior leadership team.
Reporting to the Deputy City Manager, the Manager Police Services Operations is responsible for the strategic planning, direction and leadership of our Civilian Police Services. This role provides strategic advice and support to the City Manager and Deputy City Manager as well as the RCMP Officer in Charge and acts as a liaison between the City’s Executive Administration, other policing jurisdictions, multiple government, organizational, and critical stakeholders.
Reporting to this position are three senior level managers with responsibility over the following: operational communications centre, crime analysis, police information technology, record services, victim services, custody/facilities and general administration.
In addition to the above, the successful incumbent will have strong financial acumen with proven experience in preparing and managing multimillion dollar operational budgets, excellent communication skills including making presentations and report writing skills at a Board or Executive level. They will also have the ability to build highly effective teams and to seek out positive change initiatives that move our City forward while working in a fast-pace environment.
To qualify the successful incumbent will have a Master’s or Undergraduate degree in Business Administration, Public Administration or related field and an Accounting designation would be considered an asset. Education should be supplemented with 8-10 years in senior management ideally within a municipal setting and an understanding of the policing role within a vibrant and growing urban municipality. This position requires the successful incumbent to have a thorough knowledge of Federal, Provincial and Municipal legislation and regulations coupled with extensive management expertise with both exempt and unionized staff.
Other Requirements include:
- Excellent interpersonal skills to serve as a critical focal point between multiple parties at the Council and executive level; and to provide strategic advice, counsel and guidance on critical issues that have community impacts. File #: 07-2790-20/2018-192/1 Doc #: 3061376.v2
- Advanced research, analytical and problem solving skills, with an ability to interpret emerging issues, and lead strategic planning initiatives as a member of Coquitlam’s senior leadership team.
- Advanced levels of business acumen and critical thinking skills to identify risks and leverage opportunities that can be addressed through organizational planning, creative partnerships and/or communication solutions.
- Advanced knowledge of communications strategy development and delivery, including integrated, proactive and relative communications campaigns, including crisis management plans.
- Advanced knowledge of budgeting and accounting practices.
Please apply online at http://www.coquitlam.ca with a cover letter and résumé by 5:00 pm on September 19, 2018.
The City of Coquitlam is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Police Services
Posted: September 4, 2018, 4:24 pm
Expires: September 19, 2018, 5:00 pm