Parks Section Manager
Affectionately known as “PoCo”, we are an award winning organization made up of a
diverse and dedicated team of people who care deeply about the community they serve.
The City of Port Coquitlam is looking for a positive, dynamic, innovative results-oriented manager with exceptional people skills to join our Management team in Public Works. Reporting to the Manager of Public Works, the Section Manager is responsible for planning, co-coordinating, directing and managing all aspects of City Parks.
If many of the following characteristics and skills describe you, we want to meet you!
- You are passionate about parks and serving the Community
- You have exceptional interpersonal skills and are skilled at building relationships at all levels of the organization
- You value innovation, creativity and inclusiveness
- You are a collaborative team builder and team player who values and rewards contribution
- You have strong analytical skills and a track record of implementing best practices and workplace improvements in your area of expertise
- You have extensive experience in Parks management in a unionized environment and have demonstrated success in relevant, progressive supervisory roles with a minimum of five years’ experience at a senior supervisory level
- You have completed an undergraduate post-secondary education in a Parks related discipline. An equivalent combination of experience and education will also be considered.
As a Parks Section Manager, you will:
- Direct the ongoing maintenance of all of the City’s outdoor park spaces
- Be responsible for organizing, coordinating, and supervising construction, maintenance and asset management; adjusting priorities to meet emergent conditions
- Provide input to the strategic planning process for park master plans, development of new parks and changes to existing parks
- Encourage workplace safety, productivity and a positive environment, coaching and developing staff to success while building and supporting effective relationships amongst colleagues, supervisors, employees and the public
- Plan, assigns, checks and supervises the work of staff engaged in parks maintenance, construction and operations
- Plan, develops and implements new or improved best practices, work methods and procedures and organizes work crews to mobilize during emergency scenarios as required.
- Prepare and/or directs the preparation of parks related reports and their presentation and clarification before Council, Committee’s and the Public, for acceptance and approval of recommendations.
- Meet with a wide variety of external contacts affected by departmental activities and resolves problems in accordance with policy and sound parks practices
- Maintain excellent communication with other City departments, investigates and processes complaints, provides information and assistance to the public and ensures that safety and precautions are observed and enforced
- Recruit, develop and performance manage a safe and adequate staff within the diverse areas of Parks including 24 hour and disaster response. Participate in labour relations, direct safe and efficient work activities and prepare and monitor budgets.
Why should you consider working for us?
- We take our work seriously, but not ourselves
- Our organization is the ideal size for you to make a difference and have an impact
- We believe in professional development as demonstrated by a generous education reimbursement plan
- We offer a total compensation package including pension, benefits and a salary that can grow to over $116K annually.
Qualified individuals are encouraged to submit their resumes, along with a one page letter demonstrating how their qualifications and/or experience match the position online by September 3rd, 2018 at www.portcoquitlam.ca/cityjobs quoting competition number 18-091e.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those to be interviewed will be contacted. The City of Port Coquitlam will conduct a criminal record check.