Park Operations Technician
(Full-Time Temporary: This position to last not later than December 31, 2018, with the possibility of extension)Join us as we help shape the place people want to be – Metro Vancouver, one of the world’s most livable regions. The services and solutions we provide are the foundation of our region’s economic, ecological and social health. This includes the areas of regional growth planning, air quality, water, liquid and solid waste management, regional parks, affordable housing and community engagement to over 2.5 million residents. We don’t stop, we don’t close and we do what is right, for now and for future generations.
Location: 4730 Kingsway, Burnaby
Location: 4730 Kingsway, Burnaby
We invite you to bring your skills, passion, and expertise to help us in our commitment to sustain and enhance our region’s livability. We offer competitive salaries; exceptional benefit packages with valuable pension plan; employee wellness and recognition programs; and many diverse opportunities for professional growth and development.
We deliver the exceptional services and solutions that have helped make this one of the most special, livable communities in the world, and we want you to join us. Help us shape the future of the Metro Vancouver region, and shape the place people want to be.
Our Parks, Planning and Environment Department is seeking a Park Operations Technician who will provide technical assistance and support to Parks Engineering staff, primarily relating to the development of programs, procedures, and guidelines for improving management of assets in Regional Parks. This may include field collection of asset data using GPS, maintaining and updating GIS databases of assets, providing assistance with inspection and condition assessment of assets, and coordinating with operational requirements.
You are experienced with park operations and maintenance, and have computer skills, including considerable knowledge of software and applications related to the position and duties, including GPS and GIS. You are organized, have the ability to work collaboratively, and communicate effectively.
In this role, you will: (Duties described are intended to be representative of the position and are not to be considered as all-inclusive.)
- As directed, provide technical assistance and park operation and maintenance content in the development, consistent implementation and delivery of policies, standards, guidelines, processes, procedures, best practices and protocols for MV Regional Parks operations and maintenance programs (e.g. asset management program, public and staff safety management, emergency management, public regulatory compliance, risk management, operational policy, operational maintenance standards).
- Produce park operations and maintenance manuals, handbooks, procedures as assigned; prepare, facilitate and distribute updates of same. Collaborate to develop tools to enhance effectiveness of written plans and procedures (e.g. flow charts, wallet cards, templates, spreadsheets). Assist with development of park site operational plans.
- Compile and distribute information regarding park site and system status, site and facility closures and damage reports. Monitor and report out on status of emergency preparedness, response and recovery measures (e.g. wildfire, freshet) and coordinate public information posting of signage, notices and advisories. Assist to ensure consistency in public messaging by Parks Services field staff.
- Conduct research and studies on emerging operational issues as assigned. Collect, organize and analyze data related to all aspects of operations and maintenance (e.g. field innovations and testing of new park operations and maintenance methods, materials and equipment; new operational policy.) Write reports and summarize as directed.
- Assist with special projects (e.g. asset inventory, commemorative gift program, operating, safety, security, risk management audits and assessments).
- Coordinate area and departmental bulk purchases of equipment and supplies. Gather specifications, cost estimates and purchase justifications; submit Area and departmental requests for supervisor approval. Prepare purchase requisitions; track invoices, coordinate purchase, distribution and collection. Maintain and update assigned inventories including use of GIS data. Use GPS to record locations of new and existing assets. Assist with forecasts for fleet vehicle, equipment, and communications system component requirements. Assist with budget preparation. Draft Statements of Need as required.
To be successful, you have:
- Graduation from a technical institute with a diploma applicable to park operations and maintenance and a minimum of two years related work experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Sound knowledge of existing Metro Vancouver corporate & Regional Parks operations and maintenance program policies, procedures, methods and practices.
- Sound knowledge of the Metro Vancouver Regional Parks system.
- Ability to communicate in a clear and concise manner. Proficient English language skills, both verbal and written.
- Demonstrated ability to write reports and procedures.
- Demonstrated research, statistics and analysis skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and work collaboratively with a variety of internal and external agencies, groups, partners, volunteers and public.
- Demonstrated organizational skills.
- Ability to use computer and considerable knowledge of software and applications related to the position and duties, including GPS and GIS.
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate difficult terrain and walk long distances.
- OFA Level 1 First Aid certification.
- Valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License.
Metro Vancouver seeks to achieve what humanity aspires to on a global basis – the highest quality of life embracing cultural vitality, economic prosperity, social justice and compassion, all nurtured in and by a beautiful and healthy natural environment.
Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by August 17, 2018.
Location: Burnaby, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Parks & Recreation,Facilities Maintenance
Posted: August 3, 2018, 11:37 am
Expires: August 17, 2018, 4:30 pm