Requisition ID: 11696
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Civil Engineer I in the Sewers Design Branch provides technical support to the Design and Construction Team and the Sewer Renewal Program, reviews designs submitted by engineering consultants, and aides the Branch and Engineering with modernization of the sewer design criteria, internal processes, and external submission guidelines.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide technical support to the Sewer Renewal Program and staff in the Sewer Design and Sewer Operations
- Review and modernize Sewer Design Criteria, Construction Standards, and Construction Specifications
- Support the development of internal design, construction, and inspection processes, procedures, and work instructions
- Develop, implement, and document external design review processes, procedures, and work instructions
- Develop, implement, and document consultant guidelines and submission requirements
- Establish engineering consulting services contracts to support technical staff
- Reviews and comments on designs, specifications, and tender documents for storm and sanitary sewer design projects for compliance with City sewer standards
- Reviews and comments on field reviews and other project documentation for storm and sanitary sewer construction projects for general conformance with accepted consultant design
- Responds to correspondence or inquiries from outside agencies, the public and other branches regarding sewer system operation
- Represents the City and liaises with internal branches, outside agencies, Metro Vancouver, government agencies and utility companies regarding sewer infrastructure projects
- Performs field reviews on sewer assets constructed by City crews and contractors to ensure general conformance with accepted design, sewer standards, and specifications
- Completes post construction evaluation of installed sewer infrastructure
- Reviews quality assurance inspection reports of sewer infrastructure
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering.
- Registration or eligibility for registration as an EIT or P.Eng. in British Columbia is required
- A minimum of 3 years of related municipal civil infrastructure design, construction and project management experience
- Experience in detailed design and review of storm and sanitary sewers
- Experience in developing and modifying processes, procedures, and work instructions to streamline internal and external processes
- Accredited project management training (e.g. PMP certification, tertiary qualification) would be an asset
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of engineering related to hydraulics, hydrology and rainwater management
- Experience using appropriate computer design and modelling software
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a variety of stakeholders
- Ability to build and maintain excellent working relationships with the public, outside agencies and other employees
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Demonstrated ability to deal effectively with multiple tasks of moderate complexity and setting/meeting competing deadlines
- Working knowledge of EGBC’s Organizational Quality Management processes (or other OQM frameworks) would be an asset
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: October 2018
Application Close: August 21, 2018
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.