Child Program Instructors
Contract (After School Programs)
North Vancouver Recreation & Culture is looking for Child Program Instructors to lead and assist in the delivery of a variety of after school programs. Multiple opportunities to join our dynamic team are available for energetic and highly-motivated individuals with experience in leading and planning recreation programs as well as entry level instructors with a passion for recreation, working with children and who have a positive attitude, strong communication skills and excellent organizational abilities.
Depending on the applicant’s skills and experience duties could include:
- Preparing and leading a wide variety of age-appropriate activities for school age children (arts & crafts, active games and sports, assisting with homework, supervising outdoor play)
- Planning and implementing developmentally appropriate activities
- Maintaining regular communication with children, school staff, parents, other leaders, facility staff and volunteers
- Safely escorting the children from a local school to the community recreation centre
- Ensuring children are safe and engaged while promoting a positive, healthy environment
- Attending scheduled team meetings and mandatory training
Depending on your skills and experience, candidates should have:
- Ability to exercise good judgement, flexibility and adaptability
- Ability to work well within a team
- Ability to work effectively with children, school staff, parents, other leaders, facility staff and volunteers
- Ability to implement policies and procedures, as well as to supervise, coach and mentor other leaders and volunteers
- Ability to lead programs in off-site locations and to safely supervise children while taking transit for special outings
- Strong interpersonal, conflict resolution skills and problem solving skills
Courses, or certification in leadership, early childhood education, recreation or child and youth care; or a combination of some related instructional experience working with school aged children in a recreational environment is preferred. Standard First Aid and CPR-C as well as High Five certification are also required.
Programs are scheduled Monday to Friday during the times of 2:30 pm- 6:00 pm and starting as early as 1:30pm on some early dismissal days. Shift lengths and schedules vary but are generally approximately 3 hours in length.
All North Vancouver Recreation & Culture employees should be prepared to work at any Recreation & Culture location. All candidates are required to submit a Police Information Check as a requirement of the position prior to any appointment. Clearance requires the absence of any criminal charges or convictions related to this position.
HOURLY RATE: Based on training and experience, plus 4% in lieu of benefits
CLOSING DATE: Thursday, August 23, 2018
APPLY: Please submit your cover letter (include your availability) and your resume by applying online at www.nvrc.ca/employment - Competition #1790
We thank you for your interest in employment with North Vancouver Recreation and Culture and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Location: North Vancouver, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Parks & Recreation,Education & Training
Posted: August 1, 2018, 4:00 pm
Expires: August 23, 2018, 4:30 pm