Arena Attendant / Public Works Labourer
Fulltime / Full Benefit Position
The beautiful town of Princeton, located in the sunny Similkameen Valley, has a great lifestyle opportunity for someone looking for a great job in an area that boasts clean air, clean water and excellent natural experiences. The Town also offers an affordable cost of living.
This is a shared position between the Public Works Department and the Recreation Department to fulfill duties assigned for outside work in the summer and the arena in the winter. The outside schedule would begin on or about March 15 and then transition to the Arena on or about September 15. Under the supervision of the Arena Supervisor, the Parks/Arena Attendant maintains the daily operation of the Princeton Arena as assigned. Under the supervision and direction of the Public Works Foreman, a Labourer performs manual labour within all the public works departments including parks, roads, water, sanitary and storm sewer systems.
The Parks/Arena Attendant is responsible for the maintenance and safe operations of public grounds and facilities while on duty. The Parks/ Arena Attendant will liaise with Supervisors on a regular basis to ensure that the desired goals and objectives are prioritized in a way that they effectively serve the needs of the community and user groups.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must be a self-starter who demonstrates initiative in the performance of the general duties.
- Must have a thorough working knowledge of building maintenance, parks maintenance, park equipment and irrigation systems, ice resurfacing and refrigeration plant operations.
- The ability to perform semi-skilled minor mechanical, building and electrical repairs is essential.
- The ability to exercise courtesy and tact in dealing with user groups and the general public is required at all times and has a desire for the pursuit of excellence of service.
- Must have a minimum of 5 years experience working in Parks and ice arenas or related field.
- Must have a B.C. Refrigeration Operation Certificate or a B.C. Ice Facility Operator Certificate.
- Must have a related Parks maintenance certification.
- Must have a valid class 5 driver’s license.
- Must have grade 12.
- Completed a current criminal records check.
- Experience working in a municipal and or general construction setting.
- Proficient in the operation of small equipment including small tractors, chainsaws, jackhammers, compressors, vibrating hand rollers, tamping machines, snow blowers, weed eaters, lawnmowers, etc.
- Practices safe working procedures as related to equipment operation Good physical condition with sufficient strength and stamina to perform heavy manual work.
- Ability to exercise courtesy and tact in dealing with other Town staff and members of the public.
- Good communication skills with the ability to understand and execute oral and written instructions.
This position is within the CUPE Local 608 Collective Bargaining Unit and offers a competitive wage and benefit package.
This job posting is open until filled.
If you would like to apply for this position, please email your resume and cover letter to:
Director of Recreation and Cultural Services
or by mail:
Town of Princeton
Location: Princeton, BC
Region: Okanagan Valley / Similkameen
Professional Categories: Public Works & Operations,Facilities Maintenance
Posted: July 25, 2018, 2:48 pm
Expires: August 31, 2018, 4:30 pm