Program Manager, Affordable Housing DevelopmentFull-Time Regular
Location: 4730 Kingsway, Burnaby
Join us as we help shape the place people want to be – Metro Vancouver, one of the world’s most livable regions. The services and solutions we provide are the foundation of our region’s economic, ecological and social health. This includes the areas of regional growth planning, air quality, water, liquid and solid waste management, regional parks, affordable housing and community engagement to over 2.5 million residents. We don’t stop, we don’t close and we do what is right, for now and for future generations.
We invite you to bring your skills, passion, and expertise to help us in our commitment to sustain and enhance our region’s livability. We offer competitive salaries; exceptional benefit packages with valuable pension plan; employee wellness and recognition programs; and many diverse opportunities for professional growth and development.
We deliver the exceptional services and solutions that have helped make this one of the most special, livable communities in the world, and we want you to join us. Help us shape the future of the Metro Vancouver region, and shape the place people want to be.
Our Housing Department is seeking a Program Manager, Affordable Housing Development who will who will work as part of an integrated management team to lead affordable rental housing development/re-development projects.
You are: An experienced leader with a proven track record of project delivery. Your technical knowledge and experience in housing development is augmented by a confident ability to liaise with multiple levels of government and stakeholders in addition to providing expert advice to management, Board and Committees.
In this role, you will:
- Work as a technical/specialist resource to provide leadership, technical oversight and coordination to support strategic Board and Corporate directions to increase the supply of affordable housing units in the region. Manage and coordinate the activities of the Affordable Housing Development program and provide expert advice to ensure an effective housing development process from needs assessment, development, inception, master planning through to securing municipal approvals and project management of new housing construction projects.
- Develop and implement business cases and related systems and practices for determining feasibility and conceptual design of affordable housing units initiatives and projects; develop RFP’s for developers and consultants for development and redevelopment of land and housing facility projects; manage housing design and construction contracts.
- Guide and prepare complex funding applications and negotiate and structure business terms with other levels of government, non-profit organizations and other external stakeholders.Work with various governmental entities to secure necessary approvals and steward housing redevelopment plans through municipal permit processes to the rezoning, development permit stage and through the construction process.
- Accountable for the Affordable Housing Development program budget and budgets related to project delivery. Monitor and control spending ensuring the effective and efficient expenditure of allocated funds. Prepare and monitor project budgets and contribute to the preparation of long range program and divisional plans.
- Provide advice to the Metro Vancouver Board and Committees and municipal councils on effective approaches for financing and building partnerships for Housing development.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with internal staff across multiple departments to align activities and incorporate expertise as needed.Retain and oversee external consultants to fulfill conceptual, design and construction development requirements.Build and maintain strong relationships with external stakeholders such as government, non-government, health authority, private sector and other organizations that play a role in affordable housing development.
- Hire, manage and supervise staff, monitoring performance towards division, department and corporate objectives. Ensure staff adhere to corporate workplace conduct policies. Lead, coach and mentor staff recognizing the importance of leadership, supervisory and technical training. Develop and sustain a flexible workforce, consider succession planning and encourage staff to pursue opportunities that complement their skills and experience. Resolve technical and relational issues staff encounter while doing their work.
- Perform other related duties as required.
To be successful, you have:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant area such as Architecture, Engineering or Development Planning, or equivalent. 8-10 years of relevant experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Member, or eligibility for immediate membership, in a relevant professional association such as AIBC or EGBC.
- Extensive technical expertise and knowledge of the development and implementation of affordable housing development strategies from needs assessment, development, inception, master planning through to securing municipal approvals and construction management.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement business cases and related systems and practices for determining feasibility and conceptual design of affordable housing units initiatives and projects.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare complex funding applications and negotiate and/or structure business terms with other levels of government, non-profit organizations and other external stakeholders.
- Sound budgeting and financial management skills. Ability to monitor budgets, meet financial objectives and ensure the effective and efficient expenditure of allocated funds.
- Ability to work under broad direction and use independent judgment to provide advice on issues of consequence for the organization.
- Superior oral and written communication skills, including the ability to effectively listen, persuade others, and resolve complex problems using a high degree of independent judgment. Handles politically charged situations adeptly and smoothly. Superior business writing skills including the ability to write memos and reports.Exceptional attention to detail and demonstrates flexibility to adjust to changing circumstances.
- Ability to build and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external contacts.Skilled in dealing openly, tactfully and sensitively in a variety of situations. Ability to establish clear expectations and effectively resolve differences; strong ability to prevent the escalation of conflict. Advanced understanding of change management principles and practices.
- Ability to meet timelines and objectives under considerable pressure and constraints; demonstrates persistence in overcoming obstacles. Demonstrated ability to identify areas of opportunity or risk and propose solutions to resolve issues in the best interest of the organization; understands and evaluates the diverse impacts of decisions. Good understanding of business analysis and expertise in systems thinking as well as an ability to facilitate decision making with a diverse set of stakeholders. Ability to analyze, interpret and advise on complex issues where considerable variation in interpretation is possible.
- Demonstrated supervisory and managerial skills including the ability to lead multi-disciplinary groups.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office programs including Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Valid BC Class 5 Driver’s License.
Metro Vancouver seeks to achieve what humanity aspires to on a global basis – the highest quality of life embracing cultural vitality, economic prosperity, social justice and compassion, all nurtured in and by a beautiful and healthy natural environment.
Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by August 20, 2018.
Location: Burnaby, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Planning & Development,Program Management/Services
Posted: July 17, 2018, 10:30 am
Expires: August 20, 2018, 4:30 pm