City of Surrey
Afterschool Program Assistants
As one of the fastest growing cities in Canada, City of Surrey is a globally recognized leader in building vibrant, sustainable communities through technology and innovation.
City of Surrey employees are talented innovators, inspired by meaningful work and the opportunity to drive our city—and their careers—forward. Build a City. Build a Future at the City of Surrey.
The City of Surrey’s Parks Recreation and Culture Department is currently recruiting candidates for our afterschool programs. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for working with children and have knowledge of healthy child development. Our afterschool programs, MYzone, MYgames, and JUMPzone operate at various locations throughout the City and will commence October 1, 2018.
MYzone is a popular drop-in program designed to keep children ages 8-12 safe and engaged during the critical hours (3:00pm-5:00pm). The program provides a nurturing environment that supports the principles of healthy child development while providing opportunities for civic engagement and leadership skill development. MYzone staff shifts are 2:45pm-5:00pm
MYgame is a drop-in program offered from 5:00pm-6:00pm that is designed to provide children with the opportunity to participate in a multitude of active games and sports or participate in interactive tabletop game play including board games and card games. MYgames staff shifts are 5:00pm-6:15pm.
JUMPzone is an afterschool program offered in local elementary schools from 2:30pm- 4:30pm to provide an affordable and access engagement opportunity for children grades 4-7. The program includes active play and recreation, homework support, healthy eating, peer mentorship opportunities and more. JUMPzone staff shifts are 2:00pm-5:00pm.
- Assisting Program Leader in planning and implementing developmentally appropriate activities.
- Regular communication with program lead, supervisors and parents.
- Ensuring children are safe and engaged.
- Attending scheduled team meetings and monitory training.
- May be required to travel between multiple program sites.
- Current Emergency First Aid with CPR C and AED.
- High Five Certification or willingness to obtain.
- Completion of grade 12 supplemented by 1 year of related work experience or equivalent.
- Experience with working with school aged children in a recreation setting.
- Food Safe Certification (Asset).
- Good communication and organizational skills.
- Please include in your resume your availability for weekdays (afterschool hours) to the best of your knowledge at this time.
Please apply at Surrey.ca/careers to job ID 2341 by August 24, 2018.