Position: Communications & Community Engagement Advisor (Temporary)Closing Date: July 20, 2018
About Us At the City of Kamloops, we are focused on creating the highest levels of service excellence, based on an organization-wide community culture that celebrates the employees who make it all happen. We offer many advantages including ongoing training and professional development opportunities, coupled with exceptional benefits, all in the beautiful natural setting of the BC Interior.
Kamloops is Canada’s Tournament Capital, a family and business-friendly community committed to providing great customer service, enhancing community partnerships, and supporting economic growth. Our 700 employees provide customer services and programs to a local and regional population of 125,000 people. Kamloops provides abundant recreational possibilities for residents and visitors alike, as well as education and culture opportunities and activities.
Communications & Community Engagement Advisor (Temporary, Full Time)
Days of Work
Monday to Friday
Hours of Work
8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. (Summer)
8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. (Winter)
*Non-normal shifts may be required for event coordination or public engagement initiatives.
*Up to 6 shifts per month may be altered and all altered shifts start no earlier than 6:00 a.m. and end no later than 9:00 p.m. This variance in hours is subject to agreement by the Employer and the Union.
Please note that this is a temporary position until approximately December 13, 2019, or return of incumbent.
Performs skilled work of a complex nature, coordinating communication programs for internal clients under the limited supervision of the Communications Manager. The successful candidate will be responsible for developing and implementing communications and event plans, writing, promotions, public engagement, advertising, and coordinating marketing programs. Work involves technical skills such as writing, laying out text copy and graphics, and using Adobe Creative Suite software applications. The incumbent works with City departments to determine their communication plan requirements and resources and works to support internal communication and public engagement. The job involves mostly inside work with good working conditions, considerable visual attention, and working at a computer for extended periods of time. The incumbent is responsible for prompt and accurate attention to detail from development to implementation of communication, advertising, and public engagement plans with occasional pressures of volume of work and deadlines. Employee communication, event planning, and coordination of public engagement are important aspects of this position. The role requires strong interpersonal and relationship skills and considerable courtesy, tact, and diplomacy to ensure protocols, City standards, and procedures are adhered to on all media with both internal and external clients.
- Provides advice to various City department client groups on communication needs and opportunities, and recommends appropriate communication tools.
- Understands and adapts to the complexities of client management, external communication, and internal communications.
- Plans, executes, and evaluates events and public engagement initiatives.
- Writes a wide variety of communication material for a range of audiences and mediums.
- Provides layout and design services for advertising and marketing collateral, and negotiates advertising rates and placement for paid electronic, print, and social media.
- Tracks, reviews, and confirms all paid advertising undertaken by client groups and corporate campaigns.
- Creates and uploads current and relevant content on the website, social media, and other corporate communication tools such as the weekly City Page, the annual City calendar, and the City’s Annual Report.
- Develops and executes event plans and itineraries for departmental client groups involving the City, and organizes events for internal and external audiences.
- Plans media relation activities via media releases, news conferences, and stories that support departmental communication plans.
- Works with the Graphic Designer to develop visuals and materials for communications needs.
- Reviews and monitors corporate visual identity protocols, and ensures City standards and procedures are adhered to on all media.
- Reviews, analyzes, and reports metrics on departmental communication activities and public engagement tactics on an annual basis.
- Liaises with consultants and suppliers engaged to provide communications, marketing, and public engagement-related services.
- Performs related duties as required.
REQUIRED SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND KNOWLEDGE
- Ability to discern and advocate for best-practice communication strategies and tactics for each City department.
- Ability to think strategically and adapt/interpret the operations and communication needs of various City departments.
- Ability to use tact and diplomacy when dealing with City staff and members of the public.
- Excellent ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to plan, organize, and effectively manage workload with multiple priorities and demands.
- Demonstrated ability to think creatively and strategically, exercising sound judgement and discretion.
- Knowledge of City departments and their communication needs.
- Thorough knowledge of communications planning and execution.
- Thorough knowledge of media buying.
- Thorough knowledge of earned media activities.
- Considerable knowledge of internet technologies and Adobe graphic design software.
- Completion of a certification from a public engagement association.
- Completion of computer courses or experience in advanced Adobe graphic design software, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Completion of senior secondary school or its equivalent.
- Completion of a post-secondary degree in communications, marketing, or business with a major in marketing.
- Completion of computer courses or experience in intermediate Adobe graphic design software, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint as demonstrated through testing. A 60% pass rate is required.
- Minimum three years’ directly related experience in public engagement, events management, communications planning, and marketing/promotions.
For new hires, and for those working in designated positions of trust, including those working directly with vulnerable persons, no formal offer of employment will be made until an applicant completes and passes a criminal record check.
British Columbia [BC]
Compensation & Benefits Overview
Comprehensive benefits package available.
Please note that persons with disabilities who require accommodation with the application process may contact the Human Resources Department for assistance at (250) 828-3439.
To apply for this position, please visit our website at http://www.kamloops.ca/hr/index.shtml
Location: Kamloops, BC
Region: Thompson / Shuswap / Columbia
Professional Categories: Communications,Civic Engagement
Posted: July 13, 2018, 10:46 am
Expires: July 20, 2018, 4:30 pm