Senior Project Manager - Strategy and Business OperationsRequisition ID: 11566
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The City of Vancouver’s Engineering Project Management Office (Eng PMO) has an exciting opportunity for a Project Manager (Strategy and Business Operations) to lead and support strategic initiatives and business transformation projects across the department.
The City’s Engineering Services department comprises 30 branches, and 2,200 staff. The department is evolving rapidly to meet the City’s needs for integrated infrastructure services, increased efficiency, and innovation. The Eng PMO is charged with planning, enabling, and delivering cross-functional strategic initiatives to help achieve these goals. The Eng PMO operates six services lines, including long-range infrastructure planning, strategic planning and business transformation, quality assurance and process improvement, and technology planning and delivery.
Working within a highly skilled and diverse team, the Senior Project Manager will be responsible for managing a portfolio of concurrent project that vary in range from small to complex. The role entails the planning, management, delivery and reporting, and delivery of business results and improvements to customers. . Projects are designed and delivered in an agile, fast-paced, and highly collaborative environment, where customer engagement and buy-in are key success factors.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
The Senior Project Manager will be involved in all phases of the projects including building a rapid understanding of underlying business needs, early scoping, planning, execution, control and closeout. On most projects, the Senior Project Manager will lead or support project teams comprised of internal staff from a number of operational business units, and will work closely with a range of corporate departments and external consultants.
Duties vary depending on the nature of projects but will most often include:
- Project planning and scoping with focus on defining the problem statement, understanding stakeholder needs, and mapping risks and anticipated outcomes.
- Project execution according to the approved project plan and schedule, and maintaining project documentation over the life of the project.
- Actively managing and supporting cross-departmental project teams, ensuring delivery of high-quality services and deliverables.
- Organizing and facilitating meetings with stakeholders (internal and external) as well as acting tracking, reporting, and issue management.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors’ Degree in Engineering, Business Administration, or related discipline. Master’s Degree or MBA preferred.
- A minimum of eight years of experience managing or providing consulting services at a senior level to increasingly complex business initiatives or capital programs, in a similar context or with similar organizations.
- PMP and PROSCI Change Management certification preferred.
- Experience in working within a collective bargaining environment preferred.
- Strategic Problem Solver, and Great Communicator: Experience building and maintaining rapid business understanding and trust with clients; communicating effectively in individual and large meetings; facilitating workshops, building consensus, addressing stakeholder conflict, and holding senior or sponsor presentations.
- Detail Oriented and Organized: Experience drafting formal projects deliverables including reports, processes, policies, status updates, as well as sponsor or executive summaries and presentations.
- A Natural Project Manager: Ability to plan and work with large volume of information, competing priorities, tight deadlines and diverse stakeholders.
- A motivator, and a People Person: Experience working with and consulting on organizational change, and assisting others with informing and adapting to change.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: August, 2018
Position End Date: August, 2020
Application Close: July 25, 2018
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Location: Vancouver, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Engineering,Project Management
Posted: July 12, 2018, 10:39 am
Expires: July 25, 2018, 11:45 pm