Program Assistant – Health & Wellnes
Job Id: 18-090
Department: Parks, Recreation & Culture
Salary: $23.74 - $27.89 per hour
Closing: August 6, 2018
Maple Ridge located in Metro Vancouver is a vibrant and rapidly growing City with outstanding recreation, arts and cultural amenities and some of the most affordable housing in the region. This combined with a dynamic community makes Maple Ridge a great place to work, play and live.
Are you a team player with excellent communication, interpersonal skills and exceptional customer service skills?
Come join the Health & Wellness team in our Parks, Recreation & Culture Department. We have the perfect opportunity for you as a Program Assistant – Health & Wellness.
This is a regular part-time position working approximately 30 hours per week. This position will be required to work some evenings and weekends, typically Tuesday – Saturday.
Your key responsibilities are:
This is recreation work involving leadership responsibility for planning, scheduling, implementing and leading a variety of health, wellness, sport, fitness, and general interest activities as assigned by a superior. An incumbent provides guidance to volunteers, staff and contractors on their program duties and is responsible for safe and proper use of equipment and facilities. Duties are performed within established guidelines but some independent action and initiative is exercised in leading and instructing assigned programs.
This position will be primarily responsible for health, wellness, fitness and active living programs in the Maple Ridge Leisure Centre and fitness, sports and outdoor recreation programs in Maple Ridge offered by Parks, Recreation and Culture. Programs are developed in-house or in partnership with clubs or businesses.
The incumbent will have a sound knowledge of health, wellness, fitness, active living and recreational needs of adults, and considerable experience in applying the principles, practices and objectives of recreation to develop, plan, promote and implement a wide variety of programs and activities that meet community needs.
A little bit about you:
High School graduation supplemented with some post secondary education (diploma); prefer experience in Municipal recreation work with supervisory and/or leadership experience.
- Working knowledge of organised community recreation principles and practices including safe and proper use of equipment and facilities.
- Working knowledge of program content of those health, wellness, sport, and general interest recreational activities for which leadership skills are required and to which incumbent is assigned.
- Ability to plan, schedule, implement and lead assigned recreational programs and provide guidance and assistance to volunteers regarding instructional duties and safe and proper use of equipment and facilities.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with superiors, volunteer workers and program participants.
- Skills in selected recreational activities.
- Class 5 Driver’s License valid in the Province of British Columbia
- Standard First Aid Certificate plus CPR Level "C"
The successful candidate will be required to complete a Police Information Check as a condition of employment. (Note – not required a part of the application process; however, will be required upon consideration for employment)
All required licenses, certificates and registrations associated with this competition must also be valid and current at the time the postings close and must be attached with your application. Please have these documents ready to upload when you apply.
What we offer you:
The City offers a competitive compensation package that includes a strong wellness program and the opportunity for career and professional development.
If you want to help shape a growing community in a municipality that strives for service excellence, then this is the position for you.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those under consideration will be contacted.