BC Ministry of Agriculture
Agricultural Land Commission
Senior Planning OfficerSalary $67,418.93 - $77,019.79 annually plus 3.3% Temporary Market Adjustment
An excellent opportunity to apply your analytical expertise
An independent administrative tribunal, the Agricultural Land Commission (ALC) is the provincial body responsible for administering the provincial Agricultural Land Reserve (ALR), governed by the Agricultural Land Commission Act (ALCA) and Agricultural Land Reserve Use, Subdivision and Procedure Regulation. The Commission is hosted by a Ministry of the provincial government; however, the work of the ALC is carried out by an independent government-appointed Chair and board of directors who report directly to the legislature via the host Minister. The work of the Commission is supported by a team of technical and professional staff.
The mandate is set out in Section 6 of the ALCA and guides all work carried out by the Commission and staff. The work of the ALC to preserve agricultural land and encourage farming is focused on strategic land use policy, engagement in land use planning and compliance and enforcement, in addition to land use application review and adjudication.
The Senior Planning Officer provides expert advice, evaluation, and recommendations to the ALC and local governments about land use plans and bylaws, planning and related local, regional, provincial and federal land use projects that affect the ALR. This position ensures adherence to legislative requirements, policies and standards. It leads ALR boundary reviews and is responsible for recommending changes to existing agricultural land reserve boundaries.
In addition, the position provides leadership, management and implementation of land use planning activities as directed by the Commission or as part of the day to day activities associated with land use planning in the ALR. The senior planner works independently, drawing upon his/her comprehensive knowledge and experience.
Qualifications for this role include:
- Degree in community planning or another relevant field such as agriculture or environmental planning and 3 or more years of directly related experience
- Preference may be given to applicants who have membership, or are eligible for membership in the Planning Institute of BC and the Canadian Institute of Planners
- Experience in the land use planning field
- Experience leading and managing projects related to land use planning
- Supervisory experience and/or experience leading project teams of 3 people or more
- Willingness to travel overnight.
- Must have and maintain a valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License or equivalent
Location: Burnaby, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Planning & Development
Posted: July 11, 2018, 3:33 pm
Expires: July 31, 2018, 4:30 pm