City of Powell River
Building/Plumbing Inspector I (full-time)
Competition closes at 4:00 pm July 23, 2018
Located on the Upper Sunshine Coast ( www.powellriver.info ), a 20 minute flight from Vancouver, the City of Powell River is a vibrant progressive community of approximately 13,000 with access to Vancouver, Vancouver Island and the Lower Sunshine Coast. Powell River enjoys an extensive variety of year round outdoor recreational activities and festivals calendar, excellent public, private, and French language schools, a multi-purpose recreational complex, golf course, curling rink, hospital, and an active arts community. It offers a beautiful natural environment and highly affordable housing. We are also a community in transition, building a rewarding and diverse future for our citizens. In addition to a superb location, this position offers competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package.
The City of Powell River is seeking a full-time Building/Plumbing Inspector I in the Planning Services Department. To augment our existing team, we are looking for a dynamic, self-motivated individual with proven skills, energy and creativity. As an integral team player, you will assist with performing inspections and regulatory reviews to ensure compliance to Municipal Bylaws and BC Building Code.
The ideal candidate will have thorough knowledge of building construction methods, materials and techniques as well as knowledge of plumbing and sprinkler codes and policies.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Review building plans and permit applications relating to single family, small multi-family and small commercial and industrial buildings for compliance with Part 9 of the BC Building Code and applicable municipal bylaws
- Discuss plans, proposed projects and non-conformance issues with applicants and clarify problem areas
- Carry out field inspections of various Part 9 buildings and structures and prepare reports and records all inspection work
Candidates must have either a Diploma in Building Construction Technology from a recognized Institute of Technology or a recognized carpentry trade apprenticeship, and a Level 1 Certification from the Building Officials Association of BC.
For further details and to apply:
- Navigate to the City’s website at www.powellriver.ca
- Select ‘Departments’, then ‘Human Resources’, then ‘Employment Opportunities’.
- Click on the desired job posting displayed and follow the instructions.
If you encounter technical difficulties, switching to a different internet browser may resolve them. If not, please call City Hall at (604) 485-6291 and ask for the HR Clerk.
- Proof of educational degrees and/or professional designations and memberships that are relative to this position should be included in your application submission.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those applicants selected for interview will be acknowledged. The City of Powell River is an equal opportunity employer.
Applicants may be required to participate in formal testing and interviews and to provide documentation of qualifications.