Full-Time Temporary: This position is to last not later than September 30, 2019
Location: 4730 Kingsway, Burnaby
Join us as we help shape the place people want to be – Metro Vancouver, one of the world’s most livable regions. The services and solutions we provide are the foundation of our region’s economic, ecological and social health. This includes the areas of regional growth planning, air quality, water, liquid and solid waste management, regional parks, affordable housing and community engagement to over 2.5 million residents. We don’t stop, we don’t close and we do what is right, for now and for future generations.
We invite you to bring your skills, passion, and expertise to help us in our commitment to sustain and enhance our region’s livability. We offer competitive salaries; exceptional benefit packages with valuable pension plan; employee wellness and recognition programs; and many diverse opportunities for professional growth and development.
We deliver the exceptional services and solutions that have helped make this one of the most special, livable communities in the world, and we want you to join us. Help us shape the future of the Metro Vancouver region, and shape the place people want to be.
Our Financial Services Department is seeking a Treasury Manager who will lead Metro Vancouver’s cash management and investment functions for approximately 13 months. You will be part of a Financial Services Department that strives for best practices and excellence.
You are: A proven finance professional with a background in either cash management or investment portfolio management. This local government position is a perfect fit for an individual who enjoys working in a fast paced environment with an eye for continuous improvement.
In this role, you will:
- Manage the daily operations of Metro Vancouver’s Treasury function and make decisions regarding investments, borrowing and banking.
- Contribute to managing the cash requirements and investments of the organization as a whole; approve and or execute the release of funds for payment; review cheques, electronic fund transfers and wire requests; prepare and review cash forecasts and identify issues and opportunities. Coordinate with financial planning and project delivery staff to accurately forecast cash requirements.
- Execute investment trades; control costs and ensure investment terms are congruent with cash needs; Make decisions in accordance with the objectives of the Board Investment Policy and keep the Division Manager informed of all pertinent information.
- Contribute to managing operational process for payment, revenue controls and related processes and make recommendations for improvements to minimize risks and improve customer service. Work collaboratively with the Division Manager to ensure processes are effective, efficient and compliant with policy.
- Lead revenue accounting and the collection of outstanding receivables. Implement, support and improve systems for revenue and billing management and support client departments using the same. Work to improve revenue controls and the integrity of revenue data in Unit4 Business World.
- Determine commercial credit for customers of Metro Vancouver services. Review and approve applications for credit, determine credit limitations, discontinue credit and pursue collection action as required. Coordinate monthly and periodic accounts receivable and collection analysis and provide information to the various billing components of Metro Vancouver. Work with delinquent credit customers to resolve overdue accounts in a timely and cost effective manner.
- Make recommendations for adjustments to the credit application process and for improvements to the processes for managing external customers and providing revenue and receivable information to internal clients. Negotiate with financial services providers to implement new technology, improve services and minimize costs. Provide direction and support to staff in implementing new processes and liaise with accounts payable and accounting staff on related matters.
- Coordinate and contribute to analyzing the performance and components of the corporate investment portfolio and compile periodic reports. Conduct research and monitor economic and financial market conditions and compile and summarize pertinent research. Make recommendations for maximizing the return on investments while complying with policy requirements for sufficient liquidity and preservation of capital.
- Manage and coordinate the activities of the accounts receivables and treasury staff. Motivate staff while monitoring performance towards division, department and corporate objectives. Ensure staff adhere to workplace conduct policies and resolve technical and relational issues staff encounter while doing their work.
- Keep current on applicable laws, statutes and acts associated with scope of responsibilities.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- 5-7 years of recent, related experience supplemented by a bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline such as business administration with a specialty in accounting; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- “Chartered Professional Accountant” designation is required.
- Completion of the Canadian Securities Course is an asset.
- Sound and demonstrated knowledge of the principles, practices, procedures and systems applicable to finance, accounting, auditing and related financial operations. Sound and demonstrated knowledge of cash flow forecasting and management and appropriate investment strategies.
- Sound knowledge of revenue accounting and the collection of outstanding receivables. Sound knowledge of commercial credit processes and strategies for addressing delinquent accounts.
- Sound knowledge and ability to interpret and apply by-laws, regulations, statutes, policies and controls governing Metro Vancouver’s financial operations.
- Ability to work under broad direction and use significant independent judgment when more than one option is possible. Demonstrated ability to conduct investigative research, analyze complex data and processes, interpret policy and problem solve. Ability to identify opportunities for continuous improvement and address emerging needs.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to effectively listen, persuade others, and support the resolution of problems.
- Ability to build and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external contacts; expert relationship building and skills and a demonstrated ability to work in a team oriented work environment. Ability to effectively deal with disagreements and prevent the escalation of conflict; ability to manage and respond effectively to emotional triggers in self and others.
- Ability to meet timelines and objectives requiring persistence to overcome obstacles.
- Practical knowledge of a complex Enterprise Resource Planning solution (ERP) such as Unit4 Business World.
- Proficiency using Microsoft office programs, including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Valid BC Class 5 Driver’s License.
Metro Vancouver seeks to achieve what humanity aspires to on a global basis – the highest quality of life embracing cultural vitality, economic prosperity, social justice and compassion, all nurtured in and by a beautiful and healthy natural environment.
Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by July 25, 2018.