Engineering Assistant III
Requisition ID: 11123
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
This position is responsible for assisting in the setting of policy, monitoring and optimization of the City’s commercial lanes and special zones (Commercial Loading Zones, Parking Zones, Taxi Zones, Tour Bus Zones etc.) to better meet the needs of Vancouver’s residents and businesses.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting directly to the Senior Parking Engineer, this position will:
- Coordinate the administration of commercial lanes and on-street special zones in commercial, industrial, and other areas (as applicable).
- Assess enquiries related to the installation of time limited parking in commercial, industrial, and other areas
- Liaise with other groups within the City, Business Improvement Areas, and individual businesses
- Assess impacts to on-street parking and loading related to new developments and capital projects
- Support the curbside management aspects of ride-sourcing through performance monitoring and oversight for special zone management as well as assist in developing a framework for information sharing with the Province
- Organize and lead various stakeholder groups such as the Tour Bus Operator Stakeholder
- In conjunction with Traffic and Data Management Branch staff, assist with the creation of traffic management plans that involve tour buses or charter buses (e.g. Cruise Ship season, Stadium Events).
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12, supplemented by related experience and post-secondary technical courses related to the work.
- A diploma in engineering or transportation technology, or equivalent, is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Familiarity with the City's street system, transportation policies, and regulations
- Effective verbal and written communication skills with a focus on customer service
- Skilled on various software systems: Posse, Hansen, VanDocs, and MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point)
- Proficiency with AutoCAD software
- Ability to assess development permits as they relate to curb side loading and parking
- Ability to perform accurate survey work, draft simple designs, and make routine office and field engineering computations
- Ability to problem solve with accuracy in a technical environment;
- Ability to work efficiently in a team environment with little supervision and under tight time lines
- Self-motivated with the ability to build and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, the business community, and business associations
- Local area travel is a requirement for this position.
- Knowledge of Street & Traffic By-Law #2849 and Parking Meter By-law #2952
- Experience dealing with the public to provide information in a polite & patient manner
- Experience preparing charts and graphs and summarizing data in Excel
- Ability to perform basic analyses and prepare presentation material using GIS software (e.g. MapInfo, ArcGIS)
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: August 2018
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-021: $31.62 to $37.23 per hour
Application Close: July 20, 2018
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.