Design Draftsperson I (Civil)
(2 Positions)Join us as we help shape the place people want to be – Metro Vancouver, one of the world’s most livable regions. The services and solutions we provide are the foundation of our region’s economic, ecological and social health. This includes the areas of regional growth planning, air quality, water, liquid and solid waste management, regional parks, affordable housing and community engagement to over 2.5 million residents. We don’t stop, we don’t close and we do what is right, for now and for future generations.
Location: (4730 Kingsway, Burnaby)
Location: (4730 Kingsway, Burnaby)
We invite you to bring your skills, passion, and expertise to help us in our commitment to sustain and enhance our region’s livability. We offer competitive salaries; exceptional benefit packages with valuable pension plan; employee wellness and recognition programs; and many diverse opportunities for professional growth and development.
We deliver the exceptional services and solutions that have helped make this one of the most special, livable communities in the world, and we want you to join us. Help us shape the future of the Metro Vancouver region, and shape the place people want to be.
Our Water Services Department is seeking 2 Design Draftsperson I (Civil) to join our Drafting team in the Water Services department. We provide drafting services for our engineers at Metro Vancouver for large civil infrastructure projects
including South Surrey Interceptor, South Delta Main #1 and Angus Drive Main.
You are: A Graduate of an Institute of Technology Certificate program with sound knowledge of municipal engineering design and computerized drafting principles, practices, techniques and standards; and of mathematics.
In this role, you will:
- Prepare preliminary and final engineering drawings of water, sewage and drainage systems including sewage treatment plants, water reservoirs, pumping stations and ancillary structures.
- Prepare detailed structural, mechanical and electrical drawings, topographic plans, tabulations, bills of material and perform the technical calculations required.
- Perform design and layout work involving water and sewer pipelines and appurtenances such as valve chambers, under the direction of an engineer; conducts investigations of proposed water and sewer pipeline routes.
- Prepare cost estimates and job schedules and conduct field inspections of work sites; provide design and technical information; request survey assistance when appropriate.
- Reduce and plot field notes of traverses, topographic and hydrographic surveys; calculate quantities of fill and cut at spoil sites.
- Prepare orders for legal plans, existing and future underground service reference plans and maintain progress reports.
- Maintain records of changes and modifications; update "as constructed" plans as appropriate and prepare "as built" drawings for completed construction and installation projects.
- May check the work of one or more drafting subordinates.
- Perform clerical and statistical duties related to the work.
- Perform related work as required.
To be successful, you have:
- Graduated from an Institute of Technology Certificate program in an appropriate discipline plus have sound related experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Sound knowledge of municipal engineering design and computerized drafting principles, practices, techniques and standards; and of mathematics.
- Sound knowledge of construction methods, practices and materials.
- Ability to perform skilled drafting and to do the associated calculations accurately.
- Ability to perform engineering design work of intermediate complexity and to prepare cost estimates and job schedules.
- Ability to inspect construction work for technical adequacy and conformance to Municipal standards and specifications.
- Ability to work efficiently with limited supervision and to understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
- Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings and specifications.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of internal and external contacts.
- Good visual and numerical aptitude.
- Skill in the use of drafting and computing instruments including software applications for design and drafting (e.g. AutoCAD, Civil 3D, etc.).
Metro Vancouver seeks to achieve what humanity aspires to on a global basis – the highest quality of life embracing cultural vitality, economic prosperity, social justice and compassion, all nurtured in and by a beautiful and healthy natural environment.
Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by August 31, 2018.
Location: Burnaby, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Drafting
Posted: July 4, 2018, 1:06 pm
Expires: August 31, 2018, 4:30 pm