Interested in becoming a Firefighter?
The Districts of West and North Vancouver and the City of North Vancouver are jointly recruiting for professional Firefighters. Are you community-minded, positive, energetic, active and looking for a fulfilling career?
- Proof that you have passed one of the following: University of Victoria Firefighter Physical Abilities Test OR University of Alberta Firefighter Applicant Aptitude Evaluation on September 1, 2017 or later, up to the closing date of this competition. Testing must be conducted by a certified location. Please note that we reserve the right to request a reevaluation, if necessary.
- Successful completion of an approved Firefighter Training program resulting in a minimum of Firefighter Level 2 Certificate (NFPA1001).
- High School graduation.
- Successful completion of at least one year of post-secondary education (e.g. academic/technical/trades) OR At least one year accumulated work experience after high school (equivalent to full time hours), preferably in work related to the needs of the Fire Service. (e.g. building construction, mechanical, driving trucks and/or large or emergency vehicles, fire service, first aid, nursing, paramedic, instructor/educator, full-time competitive athlete etc.).
- Physically fit for the position of Firefighter and medically fit according to the standards set in NFPA 1582. It is the candidate’s responsibility to review and understand these standards.
- A valid BC Class 3 Driver’s licence with Air Brake endorsement. Please note: If you are applying from another province you should contact the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC) at 1-800-950-1498 to ensure your licence is equivalent to a BC Class 3 Driver’s licence with Air Brake endorsement. In your on-line application to our competition, you should provide written confirmation of this. If ICBC will not provide written confirmation to you for inclusion in your on-line application to our competition, you are required to include a letter from yourself confirming that you have contacted ICBC and that they confirmed that your out of province driver’s licence is equivalent. •
- Safe and responsible driving behaviour as demonstrated on a current driver’s abstract. More than 6 points in the last 3 years from the date of application are considered excessive and you will be considered as not meeting the required qualifications. Other aspects of your driving record will also be considered.
- Successful completion of and current certification in Occupational First Aid - Level 1 OR Standard First Aid – Industry with CPR Level C OR Emergency First Aid – Industry.
- Computer literacy (i.e. proficiency in Microsoft Office and/or common software applications).
- Permanent Resident of Canada or Canadian Citizen.
- No criminal convictions related to the job of Firefighter. Please refer to the Ministry of Public Safety & Solicitor General website for more information about the Criminal Records Review Act.
- Progress towards or completion of a post-secondary education program (e.g. academic, technical or trades training).
- Higher level first aid or first responder certification such as: Occupational First Aid Level 3 OR a First Responder License Level 3, combined with Spinal Immobilization and AED (Automatic Electronic Defibrillator) Endorsements, EMR, EMR Bridging, PCP training, EMR licence, PCP licence, nurse or doctor.
- Additional Fire Service related courses.
- Ability to swim and related life-saving certificates.
- Demonstration of service to the community through volunteer experience, other than serving as a volunteer Firefighter.
- The current starting salary for all three departments is as follows: First 6 months: $5768 per month (January 1, 2019 rates).
- These rates are subject to change. A comprehensive benefits package is offered.
Review application instructions and apply on-line @ northshorefirerecruiting.ca prior to 5:00 p.m. on Friday, July 27, 2018.