Posting Date: June 29, 2018
Application Deadline: Open until Filled
Competition number: 18-48
How to apply:
Please send your resume with competition number, in confidence to: Human Resources Manager
City of Quesnel, 410 Kinchant Street, Quesnel, BC V2J 7J5
Apply online or by Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (Word or pdf document only please)
The City of Quesnel is seeking a full-time Purchasing Supervisor to join their Finance Department team. The ideal candidate will have the ability to exercise considerable independence of judgement and action within established guidelines. This position is based in the receiving office located at the Public Works Yard and is open to all male and female applicants.
Reporting to the Director of Corporate and Financial Services, the Purchasing Supervisor is responsible for the supervision and direction of the Purchasing function of tactical procurement of commodities, supplies, equipment, and services to be used by the City in accordance with City Policies. This position performs strategical purchasing duties while maintaining the level of inventories required, ensuring the orderliness and cleanliness of the warehouse and yard and ensuring effective internal controls are applied to the entire purchasing process.
The Purchasing Supervisor coordinates his or her efforts with the various departments in order to ensure supplies and equipment are available when required. This individual will utilize expert knowledge to purchase goods and services that meet quality requirements and specifications at the most favorable price for the company, while simultaneously building and maintaining strategic relationships with key suppliers. Responsibilities will include the strategic forecasting, managing of inventory, supplier relations, and supervision of staff. The incumbent is responsible for ensuring the procurement and acquisition of goods and services is performed in accordance with required policy and procedures and in a timely manner. He/she provides expertise to staff in development of competitive bid documents.
DUTIES AND TASKS
- Takes the lead role in the procurement and acquisition of goods and services in
- keeping with the City’s purchasing policy and procedures, including reviewing and authorizing delegated purchasing activities
- Assists in the development and maintenance of purchasing policies that support fiscally responsible, transparent and fair purchasing practices and monitors compliance with policies by all City employees
- Provides advice and expertise to City staff in development of tender and proposal call processes for all City requirements including the development of template documents (RFP, Tender, etc) for all City Staff to use.
- Prepares and issues bid documents; runs a sound bid process; evaluates responses; drafts contracts;
- Supervises the inventory of the stores function located at the Public Works Yard
- Collects, determines the status, and disposes of all surplus equipment in accordance with policy, procedures and bylaws
- Develops recommendations and prepares reports regarding operational activities, special projects and their related costs
- Resolves contract issues relative to service and supply agreements
- Supervises Receiver function
- Endeavors to develop and maintain good Buyer/Supplier relationships and communications.
- Implements and maintains a policy of Supplier Development, where possible, to assist “local suppliers” with their ability to competitively bid on goods and services as required.
- Maintains effective working relationships and liaises with a variety of internal staff and other departments, and external contacts including the public, elected officials, municipal and senior government staff
- Ensures the effective and efficient use of the purchasing system
- Maintains up to date knowledge on the latest purchasing trends and legal issues pertaining to contracts
- Performs other related duties as required
Education and Experience:
- A post-secondary degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Commerce (Supply Chain Management) or a related discipline, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Recognized or eligible for professional procurement designation such as SCMP, CPPO, CMP, or CPSM or willingness to complete it in a timely manner.
- Minimum of three years’ experience in warehousing/purchasing, preferably in a municipal environment
- Comprehensive experience drafting vendor agreements including the ability to strategically assess and mitigate risk with vendors and suppliers through well- structured agreements.
- Minimum two years supervisory experience, preferably in a unionized environment
- Experience with computerized procurement systems an asset
- Experience with using the internet as a research tool and competency using Microsoft excel and word
- Must possess and maintain a valid BC driver’s licence
- Considerable knowledge of purchasing, including the legal aspects of competitive bidding, negotiating, market trends
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to supervise purchasing and related employees
- Ability to communicate effectively using tact, discretion and diplomacy with venders, co-workers and the public
- Good working knowledge of purchasing terms, laws of competitive bidding, best purchasing practices, contract law and some knowledge of risk management
- Self-motivated and able to work unsupervised and to initiate and complete tasks with little or no instruction
- Strong organizational, time management and problem solving skills
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills to communicate effectively with all levels within the organization and with external stakeholders.
- Strong writing skills for creating reports, correspondence, contracts, requests, bids, and other documentation.
- Physical ability to perform the required duties
The City thanks all those who apply however only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.