Deputy Fire Chief
Charlie Lake Volunteer Fire Department
Full-time, Permanent Position
Join the Peace River Regional District team in the mighty Peace Region of northeastern BC – world renowned for our friendly people, spectacular outdoor recreation and linkages to the Yukon and Alaska. The Peace River Regional District is the largest geographical local government in the province, in its vast 120,000 square kilometers. It encompasses four electoral areas and seven member municipalities, with a total population of approximately 63,000.
One of our fastest growing rural communities is Charlie Lake - a thriving residential, recreational, small-business focused community - with an estimated population of 3,500 in the fire protection area. Charlie Lake is situated 8 km northwest of the City of Fort St. John, B.C., along the famous Alaska Highway, on the shore of the lake by the same name.
The Regional District is seeking an energetic and qualified individual for the position of Deputy Fire Chief at the Charlie Lake Volunteer Fire Department. The Charlie Lake Fire Department is a division of the Community Services Department, which reports to the General Manager of Community Services. On a day-to-day basis, reporting to the Fire Chief, the Deputy is responsible for the overall training program, which includes lesson planning, weekly training, preparing training budgets and organizing equipment. This position plays an integral role in the recruitment, selection and orientation of new volunteers, in addition to the continued training and engagement of the Department’s 29 members, who train to the NFPA 1001 Level 2 standard. The Deputy Fire Chief will also be responsible for fleet maintenance, which includes repairs, insurance requirements and record keeping. The ideal candidate will possess strong interpersonal and leadership skills, and will excel at building effective working relationships with volunteers, the general public, fellow Regional District staff and mutual aid partners.
This position is required to be on call alternating weeks, and may be required to work long hours during emergency situations. Evening meetings, open houses and training are regular features of this role. Travel throughout the Regional District is required.
Desirable Position Requirements:
- High school graduation plus extensive experience in firefighting – with a minimum of 3 years as a Fire Captain
- Fire Service Instructor 1, with a progressive history of training volunteer firefighters
- Satisfactory completion of NFPA 1001 Level 2
- Satisfactory completion of Fire Inspector and Fire Investigation training through a recognized institution
- Enrollment in Fire Officer training, with satisfactory completion of a minimum of Fire Officer II (preferred)
- First Responder Level 3 First Aid
- Knowledge and training in BCEMS and Incident Command System (ICS); minimum ICS 300 completed
- Advanced computer skills, including the ability to produce reports and plans
- A valid B.C. Class 3 Driver’s License with air brake endorsement, and a clean driver’s abstract is required
- A satisfactory review of a current criminal record and vulnerable sector check is required
A combination of education and experience may be considered
This is a full-time exempt position with a competitive salary and benefit package commensurate with the successful applicant’s qualifications and experience.
A detailed job description is available at: https://prrd.bc.ca/employment/
Applicants are invited to submit their resumes, complete with cover letter and references “in confidence” to:
Peace River Regional District
Attention: Kelsey Bates, Executive Assistant
Box 810, Dawson Creek, BC, V1G 4H8
Phone: 1-800-670-7773 Fax: 1-250-784-3220
Closing date for this opportunity is 4:00 p.m. on July 19, 2018
We thank you for your interest, however, only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
Location: Dawson Creek, BC
Region: Peace River
Professional Categories: Fire & Rescue Services
Posted: June 29, 2018, 11:13 am
Expires: July 29, 2018, 4:00 pm