City of Abbotsford
General Manager, Parks, Recreation and Culture
Located in the picturesque Fraser Valley, an hour outside of Vancouver, the City of Abbotsford is the fifth-largest municipality in BC with a population of approximately 141,000. Surrounded by majestic mountains and working fields, Abbotsford offers a rural charm and friendly small-town hospitality within a fast-paced urban cityscape that boasts a flair for trade, commerce, and entertainment. Young families and working professionals continue to relocate to Abbotsford, drawn by the affordable real estate, booming economy, and superior quality of life.
To learn more, please visit the City of Abbotsford’s website.
The Opportunity: General Manager, Parks, Recreation and Culture
Reporting to the City Manager and contributing broadly as part of the Strategic Leadership Team, the General Manager (“GM”) will be responsible for providing strategic leadership and oversight of the Parks, Recreation and Culture (“PRC”) portfolio in alignment with the City’s vision, mission, and values, as well as with City Council’s Strategic Plan.
The GM participates in long-term strategic planning and annual budget review, works collaboratively to ensure the effective development and implementation of corporate initiatives, and attends all Council and relevant Committee meetings. The GM will also collaborate across all departments within the City and provide strategic advice and expertise to Council.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications and experience:
- A relevant degree such as Business or Public Administration is preferred, or equivalent experience, and 12 years’ successful experience in leadership and strategic roles related to Parks, Recreation, and Culture with direct oversight of a large complement of excluded and union staff;
- Extensive knowledge of senior leadership roles in public administration or local government;
- Strategic, innovative thinker who embraces change and stays ahead of evolving business opportunities;
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills including report writing and presentations;
- Experience in plan preparations, including community consultation;
- Excellent financial management skills, business acumen, and political astuteness; and
- Sound understanding of relationships between BC government, municipalities, and funding agencies.
The complete opportunity profile can be viewed at: https://daviespark.com/abbotsford-gm-prc/
Contact: Andrew Philip or Greg Longster
Davies Park Executive Search
#880 – 609 Granville Street
Vancouver, BC V7Y 1G5
Phone: (604) 688-8422