Park Board Communications Manager
Requisition ID: 11524
The City of Vancouver and Park Board are striving to become the greenest city in the world by 2020 and we are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers.
With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City and Park Board values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Communications Manager is the primary communicator for the Park Board in all matters related to strategic communications activity including internal and external communications and public engagement. The Communications Manager is responsible for managing communications planning and execution on behalf of the Park Board and its’ elected Board of Commissioners. The Communications Manager also provides leadership and direction to a team of communications staff.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides leadership, direction and supervision in the development and execution of strategic internal and external communications plans and initiatives in support of the Park Board major initiatives.
- Provides solutions, recommendations, advice and support to management in the organization.
- Develops, builds and maintains excellent working relationships and understanding of the elected Park Board in relationship to City Council, City staff and various external stakeholders.
- Guides the media approach of potentially difficult and politically sensitive issues.
- Understands the municipal landscape and stays current on emerging issues particularly as they may have reputational impact on Park Board programs and policies
- Effectively manages budgets and processes to successfully execute initiatives in a timely manner.
- Drives a proactive internal and external communications approach, and ensures the Park Board is publicly transparent.
- Fosters trust and credibility through ongoing, clear, accurate, open, timely and two-way communication with internal and external audiences.
- Provides oversight and expertise for Park Board public engagement.
- Works with the Park Board marketing team on events to promote Park Board initiatives or programs.
- Provides oversight of digital channels for the Park Board including internal website, external website, and social media accounts.
- Provides leadership and supervision to staff, including hiring and termination, discipline, performance and attendance management, coaching, and training and development.
Qualifications and Experience:
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, Communications degree is preferred
- Minimum 7 years of experience in progressively senior communications roles
- Minimum 3 years’ experience managing employees, project teams and contractors
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
The successful candidate will have:
- Superior media relations skills required to manage media interest in the work of the elected Park Board. Position requires a high level of political sensitivity, judgement and diplomacy, especially in matters pertaining to communications support for Board governance activities.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Able to diplomatically ask questions, challenge and suggest alternative strategies and approaches.
- Experienced in developing and executing strategic communications plans.
- Able to manage, prioritize, and execute multiple projects.
- Capable of establishing relationships with and advising senior executives.
- Able to demonstrate resourceful thinking and the ability to make decisions and organize thoughts under time and budget constraints.
Business Unit/Department: Corporate Services
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Start Date: August, 2018
Application Close: July 15, 2018
All interested applicants to apply here: https://career17.sapsf.com/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=11524&company=cityofvancP&username=
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.