Weighmaster (Transfer & Landfill)
Requisition ID: 11433
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world by 2020 and we are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Weighmaster is responsible for performing a variety of clerical and cashier duties relating to the operation of weigh scales in a fast paced, high-volume environment.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- The Weighmaster’s duties include:
- Weighing private, commercial and City vehicles to determine net weight of loads and entering applicable codes for the purpose of collecting appropriate fees.
- Correctly identifying materials delivered conform to site rules and restrictions.
- Accurately processing payments and completing electronic non-payment and manifest forms.
- Registering vehicles, issuing receipts
- Daily end-of shift reconciliation
- Perform other related work as required
The work involved requires independence and is done with minimal supervision, with issues/problems documented in writing to a supervisor. Verbal and written communication with the public and co-workers is required. This position works in a small office (scale house) with another Weighmaster or alone, interacting with the public through automated windows to the outdoors.
This position will work out of the Vancouver Landfill in Delta and the Transfer Station in Vancouver. Hours of work vary from 5:00am to 8:00pm on Weekdays and Weekends. Work location and shift schedule may vary according to operational requirements.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of the twelfth school grade. Some related experience in the trucking or cartage business or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Considerable experience providing customer service and cashier functions with proven ability to handle cash, debit and credit transactions with accuracy.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- An in-depth knowledge of Transfer and Landfill Operations Branch policies including solid waste and recyclable materials in a municipal setting, specifically a landfill site, is a definite asset.
- Good knowledge of the methods used in operating platform type weigh scales utilized in weighing trucks.
- Sound knowledge of the rules and regulations governing the disposal of refuse at the City disposal areas.
- Ability to calculate fees, issue receipts, balance and deposit cash, tabulate accounts and perform clerical, inspectional and cashiering duties.
- Ability to handle a large volume of work with accuracy and efficiency in an environment with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to work in a computerized environment.
- Ability to understand and effectively carry out oral and written instructions.
- Ability to meet and deal tactfully and effectively with the public and to maintain harmonious working relationships with administrative officials and other employees.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with customers and explain applicable regulations as required.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Auxiliary/Casual
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-017: $26.91 to $31.62 per hour
Number of Positions: 4
Application Close: June 24, 2018
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.