Location: 4730 Kingsway, Burnaby
Location: 4730 Kingsway, Burnaby
Join us as we help shape the place people want to be – Metro Vancouver, one of the world’s most livable regions. The services and solutions we provide are the foundation of our region’s economic, ecological and social health. This includes the areas of regional growth planning, air quality, water, liquid and solid waste management, regional parks, affordable housing and community engagement to over 2.5 million residents. We don’t stop, we don’t close and we do what is right, for now and for future generations.
We invite you to bring your skills, passion, and expertise to help us in our commitment to sustain and enhance our region’s livability. We offer competitive salaries; exceptional benefit packages with valuable pension plan; employee wellness and recognition programs; and many diverse opportunities for professional growth and development.
We deliver the exceptional services and solutions that have helped make this one of the most special, livable communities in the world, and we want you to join us. Help us shape the future of the Metro Vancouver region, and shape the place people want to be.
Our Housing Department is seeking a Housing Technician who will work as part of the Maintenance & Capital Planning team on capital project delivery for our 49 housing sites.
You are: An enthusiastic, team-player with an aptitude for juggling multiple projects and the confident ability to liaise with internal and external parties with a high degree of professionalism. Your technical knowledge and experience is augmented by your solid computer skills.
In this role, you will: (The duties described hereunder are intended to be representative of the position and are not to be considered all inclusive.)
- Support Housing staff, as required, in the execution of their responsibilities.
- Assure projects undertaken proceed according to specifications and drawings in a timely, cost effective and efficient manner.
- Perform field/site inspections of residential civil, mechanical and electrical systems.
- Provide recommendations for improvements resulting from inspections.
- Responsible to develop scopes of work, cost estimates, specifications, project coordination and field inspections for maintenance and smaller capital projects.
- Provide accurate field documentation and oversee the creation of “as constructed” drawings.
- Perform research of materials, equipment and construction related procedures.
- Develop and process permit applications.
- Assist in the development of standard drawings and specifications for commonly performed maintenance work.
- Prepare progress payments.
- Liaise with contractors and organizes scheduling priorities between Operations, Maintenance, and tenants.
- Supervise and train subordinates as required.
- Work in compliance with all MVHC safety policies, procedures and WorkSafeBC regulations.
To be successful, you have:
- Grade 12, plus graduation from an Institute of Technology Diploma program in Architectural & Building Engineering, Civil or Mechanical, with a minimum of six (6) years related work experience OR an equivalent combination of training and related work experience.
- Membership or eligibility for membership as a Technologist or Technician with the Association of Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of B.C. is preferred.
- Good knowledge and understanding of residential building and construction techniques and practices. Experience with one or more construction trades would be an asset.
- General understanding of the current BC Building Code with strong knowledge and an ability to accurately apply applicable portions of the current BC Building Code as it relates to wood frame residential multi-family housing.
- Aptitude for diagnosing and proposing solutions for problems related to wood frame multi-family complexes, including building envelope, civil, mechanical and electrical systems.
- Ability to assess the quality of work being carried out by contractors and to provide clear and firm direction to contractors.
- Knowledge of the Master Municipal Construction Documents and ability to develop structured and meaningful specifications for maintenance and smaller capital projects.
- Ability to efficiently manage a large volume of smaller projects.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and an ability to clearly, calmly and respectfully respond to issues and inquiries from staff, contractors, tenants, the public, etc.
- Ability to maintain timely and clear written and digital records of field inspections.
- Initiative and ability to work cooperatively and effectively in a team environment.
- Ability to use computerized maintenance management software, maintenance tracking/reporting, project scheduling, spreadsheets, database and word processing software effectively.
- Ability to read and understand construction drawings and specifications.
- Working knowledge and interpretation of contract law.
- Sound knowledge of WorkSafeBC regulations.
- Able to develop strong knowledge of MV corporate contracting, purchasing, and safety policies.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise and train staff.
- Demonstrate a willingness and ability to undertake additional training relating to the duties of the position.
- Valid Class 5 B.C. Driver’s License.
Metro Vancouver seeks to achieve what humanity aspires to on a global basis – the highest quality of life embracing cultural vitality, economic prosperity, social justice and compassion, all nurtured in and by a beautiful and healthy natural environment.
Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by June 22, 2018.
Location: Burnaby, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Social Services
Posted: June 12, 2018, 3:22 pm
Expires: June 22, 2018, 4:45 pm